Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings do i need for this ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Ok here's the deal..

I want to have very heavy bass, with good mids and practicly no high's.

Strings should be .45-.105, or thicker, 34" scale and no tapered strings. It's for DGCF tuning.
    Price is not an issue.

what strings do you reccomend to me ?

2. have you considered flats?

3. why ? what's the advantage over rounds then ?

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    allodox, flats were big in the 60's and early 70's, they have that beatle,or led zep sound. the lows are DEEP,the mids and highs are real smoot and punchy, the best way to discribe them is they give you a thump sound,once you try them i dont think you will want to go back to rounds.the problem with them is the tension. if you dont know how to adjust your trust rod have someone install them for you.the fenders are cheep(20 bucks) they have a big boomy sound, or even try the d'addario chromes they dont have as much tension as the fenders but still have that great thump. im trying the thomastick ti jazz flats out now. i put them on yesterday. if you dont want to adjust your trust rod they might be the way to go but there about 38 bucks. they have a good low end punchy mids. as you can tell i love the sound of flats, rounds are nice but to bright for my tastes. to each his own.
    george

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    i just read my reply and thats truss rod not trust
    rod(a couple glasses of wine and im gone) whatever:D

6. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I recomend the La Bella Deep Talkin' black tape wound strings. Great warm tone, but cuts through the band better than most strings I've played with. Theyr're big (60-115), and they've got a great feel.