What Strings Do you Like?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Tapewound.

2 vote(s)
  2. Flatwound.

20 vote(s)
  3. Groundwounds.

4 vote(s)
  4. Nickel Rounds.

45 vote(s)
  5. Steel Rounds.

41 vote(s)
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Tapewound, flatwound, Groundwound, nickel rounds, steel rounds, or some other material?
  2. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Galli Rockbass 40-100 nickel round, hexagonal core.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I voted flats since that is what I currently gig with. But I am trying out a set of Roto 88s that I am really enjoying. I really like the tone of the tapewounds however I have three issues:
    1. Grounding
    2. Cut
    3. Sustain
    I solved most of the grounding problems by using a well shielded bass and covering the pole pieces with tape. I have a pickup cover on order that I hope will help.

I miss the sustain when I want to hit a note and hold it. I am also worried that it will not cut through well enough at gigs.

However, it has that great thump and a really warm, smooth, almost organic tone. However, I think most of this will be lost in a gig situation and I am not sure the loss of sustain is worth it.
  4. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    How should I vote if I like SS rounds, Nickel rounds, and flats?
  5. I prefer the smooth silky feel of Flatwounds to the almost serrated and rough (compared to Flats) feel of Roundwounds; however I think Nickel Roundwounds sound the best. So i'm not sure.

I'm not good with all these names of strings and stuff, I hardly know anything about them.
  6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vote for the one you gig with most. If you gig with more than one bass, vote for the strings on the bass you play the most at gigs. If you play your gigging basses equally, you are SOL.

That's what I would do anyway.
  7. TI Jazz flats. :D

I've tried a few but always seem to come back to those.

I've a USA DLX Jazz 5 that's fitted with Roto Jazz 77s. They've a good sound but are so taught at the side of the TIs.

Seanm mentioned Roto 88s. Had those on the Jazz for a while. They've massive potential, IMHO, but took them off in favour of the 77s. I reckon they look and sound good on a fretless P with a maple board tuned BEAD.

8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Will Lee sig 5 strings on my MIA Jazz Bass Dlx V sound incredible. Not too bright (especially after they dim about 3 or 4 weeks) with ALLOT of bass response and fundamental.
  9. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I like compressed steel rounds, like Rotosound RS55s or DR Hi-beams . . . they're not rough on your hands, yet they sound amazing. Flatwounds come in second place, with nickel rounds bringing up third.
  10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  11. I usually use DR Sunbeams ( nickel roundwound) and I just recently tried to use flatwounds, just curios, but I hated them I only kept em on for about a day. I guess they're just not for me.
  12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    FYI, it will take more that one day to get used to flats.....
  13. It seemed like they were alot tighter than the strings I usually use. DR Sunbeams are loose right from the getgo. I mean I have my strings set at a perfect level, for me, w/ those flats my strings were way off the fretboard.

Maybe I don't know much about flats. But is this normal? Do you have to adjust your string height when using flats?
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Flats- TI.
    Just use to low tension, and even sound.
    Also great for fretless.
    DR Low Riders
    My fav, roundwound string.
    Ken Smith Compressors
    In between a flat and round sound.
    semi-smooth feel.
    Also great for fretless.
    GHS nylon coated flats,
    Good for ABG's different smooth sound.
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted Steel Rounds as they are my favorite... but I almost equally dig groundwounds (nickel groundwounds)
  16. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, you usually have to adjust the truss rod. Because flats tend to be higher tension, they put more "bow" in the neck. This is true if you change string gauge too.

Many people also like a higher action with flats so they can dig in more. I am suspicious that flats "reward" you more than rounds when you dig in. But that is just IMHO.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Flats for me. Although I've been wanting to try a set of tapewounds sooner or later, I haven't been able to shell out the cash for a new set of strings.
  19. JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    D'Addario Steel wound. No comments necessary.:smug: