Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tumtum, Jul 1, 2002.

1. tumtum

tumtum Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    Leigh, Lancs
    :confused: I'm confused! I desperately need to change my strings on my PEAVEY MILESTONE III. There are so many different types I don't know which to choose?!?!?!?! Could ANYONE reccomend any strings??!?!?!? Thanx,
    Tum. :confused:

2. That depends partly on what kind of music you want to play and what kind of sound you want out of your bass.

To start out in your search for "your string", I would try a roundwound type, and a nickle type to save fret wear. If you like to slap a lot, try stainless which are brighter.

My son settled on GHS Boomers. He likes the feel, and brightness so he can slap, though he mainly plays fingerstyle. Some people on this site have complained about the Boomers being inconsistent lately, though I have not experienced it. I like and use Thomastick powerbass which is expensive, but seems to do it all.

I don't mean to be make assumptions, but due to your age, I would assume you don't have tons of money to spend. I would start out trying Ernie Ball Slinkies (nickle), and if you want to try stainless, try DR Hi-beams, though more expensive.

3. tumtum

tumtum Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    Leigh, Lancs
    Thanx so much! That's a lot of help and I'm probably going to buy the Ernie ball's. Do you mind me adding you? Thanx once again,
    Tum. :)

4. I got a set today for $19 :p from GC, none the less.

5. tallguybsc, What is GC? Or Who? Guitar Center maybe? I would have to drive to Austin to find one of these stores. $19 is a great deal.

I use 5 strings. I assume the $19 is for 4 string?
    I payed $34 + tax at a local store. It was about the same as most places on the internet with shipping and I didn't have to wait around and could pay cash.

tumtum, I wouldn't rule our GHS Boomers, but I would try Ernie Ball first. If you could get Thomastik-Infield Powerbass for $19, go for these. People seem to love TI strings which is why I switched.

6. Yeah, it was at Guitar Center, it was their last set, and they really wanted to get rid of them. I even asked if they were mispriced.

7. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ....another recent convert to TI Powerbass :)

$19 Bucks ??? Great price !!!
    They will normally run about $30 .

PJR

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    sp??????

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I like Dean Markley SR 2000 Lights. Very bright and punchy,beautiful tone. -Luke

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i also agree that dean markley sr2000's are the bees knees, as far as strings go. :)

11. I went to the Dean Markley web site. They don't tell you what the strings are made of! Are they stainless or nickle?

Anyway they are taperwound which I don't like (only because of the construction of the bridge of my Alembic).

I am sold on the TI powerbass. I have always liked all the tones I can get straight from my bass, but now I the tones have just gotten so much better. I seem to be able to get every tone I want from upright to funky. This includes running through a setting on the Sans Amp BDDI with the blend set as low as it will go to hear as much of the straight bass as possible.

12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Another vote for the EB Slinky's. Great strings for a great price man.