what strings do you recomend for ultra-bright tone and long life

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by warwick719, Dec 21, 2004.

1. warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    hello,this is my first thread so pardon me for any f-ups...the problem i have is it seems like i am buying a $@#% load of strings. I have tried almost every brand out. I love a really bright tone but it seems like my strings always go dull. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Would you recommend me trying some flatwounds. I play a warwick if that helps any...
  2. I like roto's personally, the roundwounds, and i find that if i wash and dry my hands before playing, they last quite a while. I play fingerstyle and slap, and the slap kinda wears down the strings tone i've noticed compared to when i just played fingerstyle, but your mileage may vary. Don't forget you can boil the dam things to rejuvenate them a bit if their dirty.
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Try a set of DR High Beams. I use to use Rotosound RS66
    and I find the DR HIgh Beams last alot longer. :)
  4. DR hi-beams and TI power bass strings have both done very well in terms of being bright and lasting long.
  5. warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    thanks for all the help yall...i appreciate it

one last question...Where can i get some TI strings? Ive heard alot of people talking about them and i cant find them anywhere.
  6. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to throw in my support for the DR Hi Beams...great strings.
  7. I'll have to try some dr's, if you guys think they blow the roto's out of the water, worth a shot.
  8. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    try juststrings.com
  9. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    DR hi-beams would be a great choice....just in case that wasn't obvious by now! :p
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One vote for D'Addario Prisms or ProSteels here. Tons of brightness and I've found them to last quite a long time, especially if you wipe down with alcohol to remove skin oils after playing.
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Another vote for the Rotosounds here...

12. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hello there all! I am also new to the talkbass forum.. some may recognise me from bassworld. Thought I'd come over as I need to ask about 7 string sets.I know there are ERB's over here!!

I have been buying Rotosound RS666LDs for my 6 strings.. but fancy a change.
    Firstly, has anyone tried Dean Markely SR2000? I see DM does a matching 6 & 7 string set.. I'd like to use the same gauges on both basses where possible.

Secondly, I am also looking at DR & D'addario & poss ErnieBall.

As per the original thread, I like bright but toneful strings, which last longer than a gig!
    any commenys would be gratefully received.. i read the other threads, but.. as I am asking specifically about ERBs, maybe I can get a more direct answer?

Cheerzz all.. Mary Christymuss!
  13. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    looks like people prefer DR & D'addario over EB.. cant find much on DM tho'...
  14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    In case anyone else hasn't said it....DR Highbeams! :)