What Strings do you suggest....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JustStartin, Jun 20, 2003.

1. I just started playing the bass about a year ago. I have a Yamaha RBX170 and it came with its own strings. I heard that after a couple of months you should change the stings. What strings should i go and buy?..Thanx for all the help.
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Might want to help narrow it down by what your ideal sound is.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ...also, lighter guage strings are easier on the fingers (easier to play) but sound thinner, heavier strings are harder on the fingers, but have more bottome. basses usually come equipped with medium strings.

choice of brands are a really personal thing as EVERYONE plays differently, sweats differently, prefers different sounds. more expensive doesn't necesarrily mean better also. some of the more common strings are:

Ernie Ball
    ken smith

there are lots more. you really need to try a lot of different ones and see which appeal to you most.

lastly, but not leastly - you can get round wound (what most rock and rollers use), flat wound (less bright sound), or half rounds (a bit of both).

i think that's the basics for choosing strings. if you're more specific now about your question people will be better able to help you.

also, if you want to be really unique, buy nylon strings. they're REALLY easy on the fingers and fun to play. kind of thumpy but I like em. hard to find - fender makes some and they can be bought at juststrings.com.
  4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ernie Ball has always been a good set for me... Super Slinky (5) are really good, and I hear the Stainless Steel ones are awsome too...
    IF you can dish out the money, I really suggest Elixirs, they cost about $50 on http://musiciansfriend.com , but they last A REALLY-------> long -----> time...
    I actually took my strings off, and put them in my garage, where a lot of dust and **** is, and that protective coating, the "nanoweb coating", didn't start to come off for about 8 months. http://www.elixirstrings.com .
    I really suggest getting the Ernie Balls on http://www.musiciansfriend.com , they are only about 15 to 20 dollars.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I definately recommend roundwound strings. They last a long time and have that rock sound. They were originally designed for rock in the sixtys I think. I have used Rotosounds and Dr's, but have heard good things about D'darrios as well. I prefer stainless steal with nickel coating.
  6. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

True... you should change your strings every couple of months if A: you're not taking very good care of your strings
    Or; you play atleast a few hours each night of the week, along with a couple three studio recording gigs during the daylite hours;^) If either or both fits your playing schedule, congrats on your progress... actually, you can probably go several, perhaps as much as 6-months or so without a string change.

As for which set to purchase??
    -What do you have on now; are 'You' happy with the sound?

Many have mentioned, and I would have to agree, you may need to experiment a bit and find what strings 'work for you'...
    -Stainless Steel are usually brighter and more 'punchy'.
    -Nickel is a bit softer and have less punch, more warmth.

Personally, after some experimenting of my own, I found what 'worked for me'; "Dean Markley's, Blue Steel" Roundwounds: .105 -.065
    Shop for strings by their 'measurements', not string 'gauge'... there's no universal standard for gauges. (a medium from one manufacturer could very well be a medium lite or soft from another brand/s)

Keep practicing and remember to wipe off your strings at the least after playing and before putting your bass to bed... michael s.
  7. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I'm a full time touring/session bassist, (about 100 shows a year plus regular session work) and I've found that Elixers are BY FAR the best strings around. I would have to change any other strings about every two weeks. Elixers last me 6-8 weeks on average. I won't use anything else!
  8. D'Addario EXPs. Just as good as Elixirs 20 bucks less. And trust me, they sound AMAZING!!!
  9. I'm still debating on what strings to put on my L-2500. I'm thinking about flatwounds. Which are the best flatwounds out there?:bassist:
  10. FireStormX

May 6, 2003
    Ohio, USA
    I recently played a show with D'Addario nickle roundwound XL's and altho they sounded great, the before-show practice my E and A string kept popping out of the nut at the end of the neck. I think it was the combination of cutting the strings too short (only left about an inch for the tuning peg) and the tuning nut being rounded out a bit by the fenders I had on previously. I ended up putting and the A and E fender strings on with the D and G being the D'Addarios. It made a nice combo since I needed a heavy bottom end and bright high-end. I was a disaster for tuning as I had to tune with harmonics on stage (no on stage tuner), which I hate to do. Fortunately nobody but my two guitarists could tell I was out of tune, of course they were too..lol

I love the sound that the D'Addarios give, and they are relatively cheap. You get the bright "poppy" tone and a metal-like sound. I would go with either fender or D'Addario's to start out. good luck!

11. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    At the risk of giving you the safe, generic, answer, it all depends. Thomastik-Infeld users are incredibly loyal to their brand.. so are La Bella users; Rotosound Jazz sets and D'Addario Chrome's sell like crazy. Hope this helps. ;)

Oh, and if you're stringing your L-2500 through-the-body, you'll need an extra long (superlong, whatever) set.