Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings do you use on your fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Stainless steel roundwound

32 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Nickel roundwound

40 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Flatwound

69 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Groundwound or half-round

19 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Coated

15 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What brands? What gauges?
    Why do you think that type of string is the best?

2. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Fender flats (9050M) with gauges of 105-90-70-55. I like the tone, smoothness and tightness of these strings but I'm going to try another flats or maybe Elixirs. My another fav are D'Addario Chromes with regular gauges. The Rotosound Jazz77s flats are not my taste.

3. Fender 9050 - .055-.105

I am thinking of trying some nylon tapewounds. Not sure which way to go yet, but 13 years of flatwound experience has pretty much demonstrated to me that Fender can make some good flats, while I find their rounds to be sub-par.

Ernie Ball makes decent flats too, but its been so long since I've bought a set that I couldn't tell you which to get.

FF

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  5. Ken Smith 5 string Lights.
    .040- .120
    I have been using these for a couple of years now, and love them.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
      Rotosound RS-88LD & RS-88EL (65-75-100-115)

Thomastik-Infeld JF344 (43-56-70-100)
      Thomastik-Infeld AB344 (41-53-68-86)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am currently looking for some good taperwound stainless steels for my Zon fretless 5.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey embellisher

i heartily suggest dean markley sr2000's. they intonate very well and are great on fretted and fretless - last a pretty long time and have a good, even tone. they taper on every string bigger than the g.

my only gripe is the sizes that they tend to come in - i find the will lee sig set to have a bit too heavy a top for my taste. i get custom gauges.

i use, for the main 4 + low B: .035-.055-.078-.107-.135

their higher strings also sound better than other companies high bass strings (<= .030") - more volume and tone for a longer time, ime. i've used, depending on tunings, .018" (which was unwound), .022" (for a high A 2 octaves above the A string), .027" (high E) and .030" (high B).

in the 5 or 6 years that i've played them on my 7's i don't think i've broken any (i don't remember doing so).

9. I've tried flatwounds, pressurewounds and roundwounds and I've decided I'm definitely happier with the roundwounds and I'll have to pay the price as far as fretboard wear. I haven't come to a conclusion on nickel-vs-stainless steel yet. I have nickel rounds on my fretless right now (Lakland) and I like the tone a lot. I usually use steels on my fretted so I might try them on the fretless and see how they perform...I voted for nickel roundwound since they are my favorite at this point.

10. I use TI Jazz flats, I've had them on since christmas, and I like smooth, deep sound they give, but I find them a little floppy. I may try something else soon, I've heard good things about D'Addario Chromes, and Fender 9050's.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LaBella Hard Rockin Steels, 45-135, tapered B and E. Goood stuff.

Actually, ive got some SR2000s on my (fretted) BTB right now. Bleh, terrible guages. Good strings (not for that bass, the bridge saddles cant go high enough!!!! :mad: ) tonally, but the guages are terrible.

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have LaBella tapewounds on two of my fretlesses and I like them a lot. Good "mwah" and a little brighter sound than flats.

13. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    DR Sunbeams, .040 to .100.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    TI Jazz Flats on the '97 AmDlxJazz fretless, GHS Pressurewounds on the '98 Alembic Custom 5 (hi-c), D'Addario Half-rounds on the '70 and '78 Precision fretless basses.

15. Ernie Ball flats. 50-105 gauge I think.

16. GHS flats.. very light gauge.. got them because they were the only flats I could find with a low B at the time, and back then I didn't realize I could use my check card as a credit card to buy things online

I honestly have no problems with how they sound and feel though

17. Can't seem to find out. Are Sunbeams flats or rounds?

(Yes, I feel really dumb having to ask this question.)

FF

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :) Sunbeams are Nickel roundwounds with a round core.
    I don't think DR makes a flat. Wish they did. Probably give
    T/I a run for their money.

19. Merci beacoup, mon ami ce n'est pas Duane :):)

DR flats would probably be something RIGHT up my alley. Maybe if we lobby them enough?

FF

20. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    That's a dandy idea. Here's their email - drstaff@drstrings.com

I'm kinda' curious about their phosphor-bronze acoustic
    bass strings...do they have a round or hex core? I was
    thinkin' a round steel core might be an easier transition
    from the hefty Rotosound 88 tapes to the Nylon core
    T/I AB344's. And, bein' made in America (well, Jersey
    anyways :p j/k), ya' figger they'd be a li'l cheaper than
    the T/I's at ~$36/set.