Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings for a fretless jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Impulsee, Feb 4, 2003.

1. I bought a fretless fender jazz bass from my friend for only 60$!!~!!~!!~!!. he made it fretless, and di a pretty good job on it to. the action is a little high, and it needs to be kinda...idk fixed up a little bit. but i really wanted it, so im gonna fix it up and ****. but like, idk what kinda strings i wanna buy for it. right now i have a fretted fender jazz bass and i have Ernie Ball mediums. idk the numbers. What do you guys reccomend for a fretless jazz bass. light or mediums??~??

2. Hi,

I use D'Addario Chromes .105-.50 (heavier) gauge flatwounds on my active fretless jazz bass.I like 'em very much, they are fat, great midrange sound, but also ok for solo playing. Flatwounds are not everybody's choice on fretless, but I found them very usable, they last very long. D'Addarios are higher tension strings, but that is sometimes a good feature for me...

I;m gonna try some black nylon tapewounds soon,
    sticking with chromes for now...

Sinisa

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Give T.I. flats a try, thats what I got on my fretless and try sound great!

4. i also work a fender fretless j-bass (one I got new in '96 for $450). it was fitted with roundwound strings and after a couple of days to get used to the fretless bass, a friend that also plays both fretless and fretted bass turned me on to d'addario half-round strings. now you can sound like jaco without having to coat your fretboard with boat epoxy! ;) :D

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have Chromes for mine now, but in a matter of time I will have a set of TI Flats...

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I tried the TI Jazz Flats, Chromes and half rounds. Nice strings but not for me. I went with Slowounds, which I like, but now I plan to give a set of D'Addario EXP 165 coated strings a try.

7. I haven't tried the TI flats, but people on here rave about them. Maybe for my next set as they are VERY expensive.

I have a set of Rotosound Jazz 77s on my fretless. Took about a day of getting used to, but I just love them. They are a bit more than others but worth it.