Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings for a Hofner beatle bass ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boobeebub, Feb 9, 2004.

1. boobeebub

boobeebub Guest

Feb 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Hofner and I'm considering putting flats on it. I've always been a roundwound player. But I think flats are more consistant with the Hofner sound. So, any suggestions ?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pyramids?
    That's what a friend here in-town swears by.
    (This guy is usually totally retro & into authenticity).
    I played his Hofner once...the "E" string's gauge seemed 'huge' when compared to the other strings.

;)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Pyramids

Nothing else will intonate correctly , this comes from the man who is the repairman for Paul Mcartneys Hofners at mandlolin bros in NY.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    In general or on Hofners?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

source sounds impressive and maybe there's a reason but doesn't seem to flow logically. I assume McCartney used the Roto Abbey Roads on that album, which I have a set of and personally didn't like. Have TI Jazz Flats on mine with no complaints. Never tried Pyramids but they're probably decent strings and as good a place to start as any.

And by the way, some guy posted a site for string swapping on bassgear 2/9, for those with sets of unwanted strings laying about.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Also,

you might check out the Hofner reviews at Harmonycentral.com for string recs. Reviewers often leave an email address you could contact them directly for followup or older review where they may have tried something different to date.

7. boobeebub

boobeebub Guest

Feb 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've heard abit about the TI's low tension- Is that a problem on your hofner ?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I have TI's on all but one of my basses. Personally, I like them. Really a joy to play, especially after playing on a set of rounds for an evening. They're extremely user friendly: easy on the neck, on the frets, and on the fingers. To me they sound better as they get older and won't get replaced till they break, which hasn't happened yet (2 years on the oldest set - which I changed once but threw the old ones back on immediately). Real plus to not have to dink with frequent string changes and compensates for the initial higher cost. They're fairly brite for flats. They ring like rounds when new but settle in after 10 or 20 hours of playing. Some people don't like low tension strings. The Beatle Bass and a Schec I have the strings are too close for me to play with fingers comfortably so I use a pic and I've found the tension to make less difference with use of a pic. It's much more apparent finger style. Little clatter on the E string on the first few frets but it doesn't bother me and could be adjusted out if desired. Sound is such a personal thing that it's hard to know what will work for you till you do it.

9. MAJOR METAL

the context in which this was told to me was after a hofner cavern owner experimented with Labella deep talking flats and the tech at mandolin bros passed on the bit of info to him.

10. boobeebub

boobeebub Guest

Feb 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I picked up a set of Pyramid flatwounds today. Pretty expensive, but I decided to splurge.

Thanks,
    Eddie

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If anybody has tried both the pyraminds and TI's I'd be interested in hearing a response about that experience.

12. MAJOR METAL

Do you gig with that bass, have you expirenced any neck problems with it. I know alot of the older Hofners run into those sorts of problems. Good Luck with your new stings i hope you like them.

13. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    The place down the street from me sells Hofner strings, they are flats, but I never tried them. www.gguitars.com