1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings for D standard?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by droppedurpocket, Jul 31, 2012.

1. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I was thinking about tuning one of my basses to D standard and was curious about what strings to use. I want them as tight as possible, not too big of a gauge if possible and uncoated. Also in terms of tone I'm wanting a mid to bright sound. Any suggestions?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    What strings and gauges do you currently use now for E-standard? Do you like the tone you get from them?

3. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I'm using the standard .105 set of the DR lo riders and yes, I love em.

4. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    In E standard I prefer lighter gauges (.040 - .095 or .045 - .100) depending on what I use it for; but for D standard I use a heavy gauge (.050 - 110) because I don't use it for slapping, but heavy fingerstyle / pick use and I can also drop down to C without floppy lower strings. I guess you could use .045 - .105 if you higher the action a little bit, but I don't know for sure.
    Soundwise; I prefer nickel plated steels (what you describe).
    Stainless steels sound nice if they're fresh, but lose that after a couple of weeks imo.

5. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I don't slap either and like you, I'm a heavy player. My action isn't super low to where I get the clank, but low enough to get a little bit of fret buzz. I want to be able to really dig in and not have the strings flop all over the place

6. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Sounds like those DR's are working for you!
    The other thing for me is, if a gauge is really too light for what you're doing with it (tuning- & playingwise) they'll keep going out of tune.
    You can send them off a couple of percent just by playing a riff!

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

based on your posts, i expect you're going to want higher tension strings.

i'm a basic fingerstyle player with a medium/heavy right hand. i've been playing dgcf for a few years now and this is my experience: easiest way there that i know is a thicker gauge string.

i also play tapewounds and pressurewounds so the strings i use probably won't work for your sound...

8. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    ...Didn't notice FunkMetalBass' question - so I thought you were using those for D standard. Anyway, my guess still is you would at least need a .005 / .010 higher gauge for it to feel like what you're used to. The gauge you're using for standard E is what I use for half a step down, but since there's tons of mass / gauge / weight discussions on TB it comes down to trying it out & see for yourself ; )

9. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Cool beans, thanks guys. Looks like ill try out a .110 - .50 set of the same string for now and see how it does for me. I believe I can get them from Jason at bassstringsonline.com?

10. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    He dropped, are you using the steel Lo-Riders or the nickels?

I think the nickels have more tension on them. You might find the 110 D a little loose for your tastes if you're used to a 105 E. Might not be as bad if you're on a 35" scale bass. You could try a 115 or even a 120 if you think you might drop to C a lot.

I know BassStringsOnline has Lo-Rider singles in all gauges. I just put a set together for my Euro 435 - I believe I went with 125-90-70-50 but I will be in drop C a lot so I wanted the thicker low string.

11. jazzninja

jazzninja

May 31, 2011
  12. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    I use this all the time - great tool. I wish all the manufacturers had charts like this. At the very least knowing the unit weight for strings allows you to calculate the tension.

It should be noted that the D'Addario chart is for 34" scale basses. They supply the equations needed to determine the tension for any scale - you just have to plug in the number. I actually created an Excel sheet for myself to do just that.

I would think the SS Lo-Riders would be comparable to the ProSteels and the nickel Lo-Riders comparable to the XL's.

13. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    TBH, I don't know if they're SS or nickel. Doesn't nickel usually give a little more zing too? Thinking about it now I may end up going with a .120 for the bottom string and go from there.

14. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
  15. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    I would think the steel would be the "zingier" ones, but the packages are different colors. I think the nickels are less common. The SS ones have a gray package with red border; the nickel have a purple-ish color with gray border.

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you like the .105 for E, .115 would be ideal for D, but you may like the .120 tuned to D. It'll probably feel a little heavier than the A-string, but not overwhelmingly so.

I'm thinking that the A,D,G strings in a .110 - .050 set will be just fine in D-standard, as some are a little high tension-wise anyway.

If you like DR strings, you may also like Circle K strings (my personal preference). They are similarly flexible (although I've heard testament that they are even more flexible than DR's) and have a similarly smooth tone. The .118 set would probably be right up your alley.

17. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Thank you sir. I will check them out.

18. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I decided to try out the DR nickels in .120 .95 .75 .60. I may also try out the Circle K as well

19. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Yeah I'm probably going to try the Circle K's eventually myself. I've gotten better at doing my own setup so that helps with all these strings I'm trying.

Speaking of which, with those gauges the tension will quite likely be higher than the 45-105 set you were using in EADG, so you I would expect you'll have to adjust the neck a bit. Tension should be tight though.

20. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Yeah, I was expecting that. I'm getting better with my own set ups too. You save so much money doing it yourself, plus I think its fun.