1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Strings For Me ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I'm a Sadowsky string user and have been for a little over a year now. I used to use DR High Beams for a few years after Elixirs but the Sadowsky stainless steels blew me away when I played the for the first time so I switched.

I've noticed here recently that the Sadowsky stainless steel strings, both blue and black label, get a little sticky when the humidity and heat go up. Another thing I noticed is that this summer they've died on me a little quicker. I still love the string though. I'm thinking about trying something different. I don't want to miss out on something that's out there if I just stick to one brand. I want to see what the world has to offer. Like I said, I've been a DR user for years and now a Sadowsky user, but what else?

What would be a comparative string to the Sadowsky SS and the DR High Beams? I like a nice punchy stainless steel string with a little less clack than some of the stainless steels I've played, like the Sadowsky SS. I love them, mind you, but they are a tad on the clacky side IMO.

2. There are Ritter Swordsteels. I haven't tried them, mind you (because you have to order them from Europe), but they seem very nice.

3. I have been using DR Extra Lifes (black beauties) for awhile now and love them. I recently won a box of La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels in a raffle/drawing though and figured i'd give them a try. Wow, i'm really loving these strings. They've got the snappy bite of steel but definately have a warmer tone than other steels i've tried in the past. I used to be a big GHS super steels user years ago. The La Bellas blow the GHS out of the water IMO.

I've had this set on my bass for a little over a month now. The bass they are on, btw, is out on a stand which usually kills the strings a little faster, but these strings are holding up very well. They still sound new.

If you like the Sadowskys, want a little less "clack" with a string that holds up well, i'd reccomend the La Bellas.

4. Ritter, sound exspensive, but may be worth it if I can get them over here without having to sell a kidney.

See, I thought of La Bellas, since Sadowsky strings are made by La Bella but to Roger's own specs, not La Bella's. I may give them a try. Thanks

5. Yeah, based on what you've described and also the fact that Sadowskys are made by LaBella, I have a feeling the Hard Rockin' Steels might be what your looking for.

Let us know what you think if try them out.

:bassist:

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have always been a fan of DR. I just put on a set of DR LoRider stainless on my Grendel 5 and really love the strings. I have read a few posts in the string section of HiBeam users switching to LoRiders stainless and really being happy with this move. Those posts is what influenced me to try the stainless. I already have the Nickel versions on my T40 and was really impressed by them. The other strings that you might want to investigate are the FatBeams. I have a set on my FrankenJazz which I find the perfect strings for that setup. I spent way too much time reading the strings section on this forum and bought way too many strings before settling with the DR's.

7. The reason I left DR and started playing Sadowsky strings is that DR's quality started getting inconsistent and was getting dead sets. I loved the tone of a good set of DR's but I just hate spending $30+ dollars on a set of strings that sounded like they were taken off of an original 1960's Fender P and restrung on my bass. I may give them another shot, especially the LoRiders.

8. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

You can from Bass Exchange but they cost more than Elixers :eek:
    http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=115_116_495

Also for the issues you were having with DR's, you should be able to contact them and give you a new set, their CS is supposedly the best of most of the string manufactures.