1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings for mustang bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WoollyMammoth, Nov 25, 2010.

1. I just finished a complete rewire of a CIJ mustang bass and am looking for new strings. The stock fender strings are too clanky and strangely unbalanced. I tried a set of standard long scale strings I had laying around but the tension just goes down too much on the shorter scale.
    I am looking for a warm balanced sound with average tension. An all around string that cane be warm or bright without being clanky or muddy.
    Anyone have experience with this?

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Try nickel rounds. GHS Electric Bass Taper Core Rene Martinez, .045 - .105, are very nice -- presence, but not too much clank.

3. Cool have you used them on short scale?

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I usually use medium scale strings on my Mustang because it's a string through.

5. How does that work does it lineup right? How about the tension?

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    My '77, string through the body Mustang matches up well with light or medium scale. Light gauge strings are fun if you like to bend notes. GHS made or makes a light gauge set that worked well. After using nickel plated round wounds for the last few years, my next set of strings will be flats. The short scale / light gauge strings allows me to be bend notes easier while maintaining more tension.

7. I may try some flat rounds. Short scale strings are hard to find and my local store has daddario flat rounds. I may give them a try they are short scale 45-65-80-100 anyone have experience with this?

8. Do short scale strings fit your mustang too?

9. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I think Jim might be mixing up scale with gauge??? Some short scale strings are too short for the string through setup.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The D'Addario Chromes in Medium scale length will fit your bass perfectly... 32" string handles the through-body nicely...These are .045 - .100, so they are fairly light.I have had excellent luck with Chromes in all gauges and lengths (At one time, I was buying them in every scale length each time I bought!!)...

-robert

11. skruch

skruch

Jul 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I agree. I have my Musicmaster Bass set up with a Mustang string thru bridge. D'Addario medium (.050 to .105) nickle Half Rounds in long scale length work just fine. Not as bright as round wounds.

12. Thanks that's what I was looking for I'll give em a try. I'm going string shopping tomorrow.

Any other sugestions?

13. skruch

skruch

Jul 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Always check your intonation after a string brand / guage / type change. And eat your vegtables. ;)