What strings for my 5 strings fretless bass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Jan 28, 2002.

1. I must choose between Rotosound, thomastik, d'addario, fender and La Bella. help, please.
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I don't know about the 5-string set but I put a set of the TI Jazz Flats on my 4-string Wal and they are totally awesome.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    First question: What tone are you after? If it's the Jaco/Mark Egan/Alain Caroin thing (have i exposed my bias?), then may I add Elixirs to your short list?

Almost same tone as D'Addario XL's and they last forever. Really, like a year, without any appreciable brightness loss. And way less fretboard wear than anything but flats.

Best price I've found is at www.juststrings.com who also has stunning service.
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'm right there with Eli. For the tone I look to achieve on a fretless, Elixirs are my string of choice.

When I purchased a J-Retro for my Jazz bass, Steve Barr threw in a set of TI Jazz flats for my trouble (very cool move on his part). I was in the market for a fretless and I thought I'd when I found one, I'd give them a try. I've never been much of a fan of flatwounds, but since many bassists gave them high marks, I thought I should expand my horizons.

I just bought a Stingray 5 fretless, immediately took off the factory roundwounds and put the TI jazz flats on it. IMO, they are kind off "woody" sounding. After trying a bunch of eq settings, I just couldn't dial in the tone that worked for me.

On a previous fretless, I used Elixirs, and really liked there performance. Therefore, I bought a 5 string set, put them on the Stingray, and found the tone I was looking for.

Best Wishes,
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I use Lakland Joe Osborn flats on my fretless fiver. I get them directly from www.lakland.com
  6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Try D'Addario Half-Rounds. I put a set on my fretless 5 just before I sold it, and they dramatically transformed its tone compared to the roundwounds I had been using. I may not have sold it had I done that sooner!
  7. I like the Rotosound Tapewounds I've had on my fretless Ray 5. I've had them on for a good 6 months and they still sound big and powerful.