Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings for my Mørch??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mikkel-S, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Just a quick question, What strings should I buy for my Mørch bass. It has that vintage vibe going. I've always used DR Hi-Beam, they sound great. But I need something new and refreshing. The strings I would like are something that compliments my bass's deep and smoothe "middy" tone. What would you suggest?
    btw. i'm ordering from bassguitarstrings.us.

2. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    My bass it looks like this.. If that helps:rolleyes:[​IMG]

3. DR Fat-Beams has a more middy sound than Hi-Beams, and are a little stiffer which gives you more thump. D'addario Slowounds has really good mids too. Maybe flatwounds would be an option, but I have no experience with those.

Nåmen det er da en fed Mørch du har der! Godt at se noget dansk :) Har du købt strenge fra bassguitarstrings.us før? Hvis ja, skulle du så også betale told og moms ect.? Kender du en måde man kan undgå det på, for strengene er jo en hel del billigere i US.

4. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    -Tak, den er simpelthen også en keeper.. Det er den fedeste Mørch jeg har prøvet indtil videre!
    (Og jeg har da spillet på et par stykker)
    Ang. told og moms er jeg ikke blevet snuppet, pakkerne er rimeligt anonyme så'h chancerne er små.
    Hvad strengene angår har jeg prøvet slowounds men ikke Fat-beams.. Er de et forsøg værd? Men jeg har også tænkt på flatwounds, selvom jeg ikke har været så meget for dem faktisk hadet dem, men det kan være jeg er blevet voksen nu! :D Men jeg leder efter den FEDE Lars Danielson lyd, if you know what i mean?..
    Btw. Fedt med endnu "supporting" dansker!
    Håber at møde dig lidt mere herinde!

I would really like to try flat's but i'm all new to that.. I really want a FAT-funky sound, that I know my Mørch can deliver..! Any suggestions?
    Thanks

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hej!

what about trying the thomastik jazz flats, they are really great for that deep low-mid thumb, more modern(bright/sustain) than other flatwounds, highly recommended, but beware they are very low tension.

Doesn't Danielsson use d'addario EXL170? but then again he uses a sadowsky outboard pre-amp to help him get that juicy phat sound we all love. I can nail his sound pretty well with my alder/rosewood sadowsky jazz bass, I think the pre-amp is important when trying to get his sound, and not to forget his hands.

held og lykke! ;)
    Jacob

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, i feel like i'm on the set of hamlet, prince of basses :D

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "pluck us, do we not boom?" :D

8. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    What do you mean??:confused:

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, hamlet was about the prince of denmark, and all the folks in the play, or at least most of them, were danes, so i was just sorta cracking a joke about all the fine danish folks participating here in this thread :). there's a line from hamlet "prick us do we not bleed" from the famous "to be or not to be" speech (iirc) and that's where i got my paraphrasing.

just trying to be funny :) :eek:

(nice bass, by the way. i like the upper horn)

10. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Of course..!:rolleyes: I didn't thought of it in that way.. Just me being stupid..

11. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I thought the "prick us do we not bleed" was from The Merchant of Venice when Shylock (I think that was his name) is doing his "hath not a Jew eyes...." speach.

Maybe it apears in others as well.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, actually you're right. oh, well, there goes the last wisp of clever humor from my post :rolleyes: :D

13. Hehe... speaking of Denmark related wisdom, is your album title 'Rear and Fambling' by any chance connected to Søren Kierkegaard?

14. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Just slabbed on a pair of Tomastik Jazz flat's..
    Oh my god... They rock, the sound is very smoothe and thumpy'.. Thanks for leading me en that direction..
    :D

15. Great to hear you've found what you were looking for :) The TI's must be very different from the Hi-Beams you're used to!

16. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Yeah... Almost a paradigme shift..!:D But they are extremely funky.. Very warm sounding.. I would highly recommend them to any "funkaholic" and jazzplayer..

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    glad to hear your happy with the TI's...I totally agree with you that they are very FUNky to play...the best thing is that they sound better and better the more they are played...