Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings for my Rickenbacker 4003?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass117, Jun 9, 2005.

1. bass117

bass117

Apr 7, 2005
    Levittown, NY
    Bassheads,

I just busted a D tring on my 1998 Rickenbacker 4003 during a gig at Makor NYC - no biggie as I had my trusty G&L L-1000 standing by on the guitar stand but I was a-wonderin' - been using Rotosound 40's for quite a while, they feel good and sound good, but was interested in what other strings would ring out nicely on my Rick. My Rick is my main gigging bass so I don't want to chance putting crapola or RICK-phobic strings on her. I liked the sound of Dean Markley Blue Steels on my G&L. I find that I am restricted to 40's though as 45's are too big for the Rick nut, and 40's are not that easy to find. Any Rickers out there with some sage advice? Or just stick with the tried and true Rotosounds?

Thanks,

Kevin of the Thurstons

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Naw, experiment...

If I had a Rick at present (have had 'em in the past), I'd consider stringing 'em up with some ultra-lights: .095-.075-.055-.035. Don't have a particular make & model in mind, but you can find numerous manufacturers @ JustStrings.com...

The thing is, with a Rick it's not about boom & bloom - it's all about ping & ring. So why not accessorize to the instrument's strong suit? :meh:

MM

3. bass117

bass117

Apr 7, 2005
    Levittown, NY
    Michael,

Thanks - just checked and they have some nice prices there - but they have them listed by manufacturer not string size, although picking a manufactureer brings up an extensive list with sizes.

Do you have any recommendations based on strings you have used / tried?

- Kevin of the Thurstons

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's true: you do have to click 'n' hunt in order to find 'em...

No recommendations. I've used a number of makes/models in standard light gauge (.100-.080-.060-.040), including GHS, Dean Markley, Sadowsky, Trace Elliott, Carvin, DR and others. I'm guessing the Ken Smiths might be a really good choice for you. Certainly there are others too...

MM