what strings for SX SPD-62?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Budslide, Nov 24, 2003.

1. I ordered my new essex spd-62 tonight :D (in sunburst i might add :)) and i realized I don't know jack about strings. I tried doing some searchs here but I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I need to know what sorta strings I would want. It's probably prefernce but I have no idea were to start, give me some advice please!

any links to threads about string knowledge would be awsome too! thanks!
  2. my bro has got daddario half flats on his sx p and it really kicks some ass with the tone rolled off a bit. i've never tried them myself, by TI jazz flats are supposed to be like a holy grail on a p
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What kind of sound are you looking for? That will help us give suggestions for strings.

Flats on a P give a THUMP. Rounds give more of a PUNCH. Rounds are brighter sounding, more harmonic character meaning they have more "zing". Stainless steel will also help with brightness. Nickel strings are less bright than stainless steel.

Those are the basic rules. Past that, there are so many different brands with little changes to the strings, little alterations to make them unique and to have their own sound.

Once you give a basic idea of what you are looking for tonewise, we can give you better suggestions for your price range and needs.
  4. hmm well i guess i'm interested in playing like rock pretty much, like maybe Incubus, RHCP, Pink Floyd, Zepplien and so forth. Also jam bands, not really sure what you would call the sound... like Phish and Moe. though

those TI jazz flats are pretty pricy for me, i'm just starting here, don't need to be spending almost as much money on strings as i did on a bass. :p ;)
  5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think you want rounds, probably steel. They will give a good punchy rock tone which will work for what you need. If you want a duller tone, that's what the tone knob on a P is for ;)
  6. Check out the Thomastik Power Bass Series as an option.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thomastik's are a good suggestion, but (no offense to you, Bud) but I think they may be a bit expensive. I remember what it was like to be a 16 year old bass player (it was only 3 months ago), and shelling out that much money for strings is a bit of a stretch. Of course, I could be way off, thats just my impression and personal experience.
  8. yea, I'm looking for somthing hopefully under $20? If thats a sterch I can go higher but I don't really wanna pay more then $30.

I'll check those out, thanks