Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings for that "piano" string sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I have tried SO many brands in search of that nice piano clean sound, and the only ones I have found are the Yamaha's, but the last batch (6 packs) were fairly dead for new strings. what brand really rings out?

Thanks.

Mr. Pitiful

2. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I like Ernie Ball Hybrid Nickels . . .

3. For a "ringing" tone, I actually think DR Hi-Beams are the ticket. VERY bright however.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Just use piano strings? :D

5. I would suggest RotoSound, because they were the first to create the Roundwound string, by request of John Entwistle, to mimic that "piano-sound".:cool:

Although I haven't tried the Rotos, I have tried the Ken Smith Burners/Rockers/etc. and they are great.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you can't get "piano-string-zing" out of stainless steel DR Hi Beams or Rotosound Swing 66's, then the problem is not the strings....(plus, that "zing" wears off after a while).

If not, I'd suspect your bass's preamp. Your amplification, shown in your profile, is very nice.

7. If you can't get "piano-string-zing" out of stainless steel DR Hi Beams...

Word.

8. Rotosound Contact-core Stainless Steel Roundwound ??
    cant find the psd's now but they were developed for piano sound
    :)
    RS99 'P.S.D.'
    contact-core

(stainless steel)

With just the 'centre core' resting on the bridge the RS 99 'Piano String Design' set will give you excellent, punch, clarity and sustain. Designed in 1974 by James How these strings are popular with the likes of Stanley Clarke, John Paul Jones and Mark King.

(all sets available with adjustable ball ends only) RS 99LD 'G'
    RS 995LD 'G' 45
    45 65
    65 85
    85 105
    roto

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Ken Smiths are pretty piano like. I like them much better than Roto's.

10. Stadium Elites or Danelectros . Elixir Nanowebs are pretty bright .

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Looking outside of specific brands, I find that a lighter gauge helps. I used to use heavy strings, but when I switched to a really light gauge, they were a lot more clear. YMMV I guess.

12. Labella supersteps, or D'Angelico Stainless.

13. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Thank you all. I will try some of these.

Mr. Pitiful

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i find that i get a much better "piano tone" out of dean markley sr2000's than i did with the rotosound strings that i've used. besides, the taper down to the core is, at least for me, more prone to breaking than the taper down to the last winding, like dean markley makes.