What strings for thru body?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jun 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The Ibanez ATK Has the option of being strung thru body, but the guys didn't do it that way when he put on the new strings. What i want to know is, do i have to buy longer strings? it's not THAT long of a scale, but with the thru body stringing, i don't know. Can a pair of good old nickel (Was thinking about stainless, but i don't want wear down these already low frets) Slinky's on them? Or would i need something else? Another thing i heard was that strigns will break faster if i STB. I play with a pick,,,, and pretty hard to. when i really dig in, i don't want to break the string... so should i just screw it, and just string em reguler? or not? I want as much sustain as possible...
  2. I've got a cort 3535, which is 35" AND body-thru stringing..

I've got Pyramid 5-lite superlongscale's on it.. fits perfect :)
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There was quite a bit of disussion over on the Fender Discussion Page about stringing-thru-body recently, and the consensus was that it doesn't make any audible difference.

If you want to try it, most standard long scale strings will work if your bass is 34" scale (or less). Taperwounds generally will not work, except that Fender makes a set with a taperwound E (#8250) specifically for STB. I think you can also special-order DR Long-Necks for STB as well, but they're stainless. But regular non-tapered nickels like boomers or Slinkys should be fine.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I found that D'Addario "Slowound" long scale strings were too short for my 34" scale Fender jazz with string through body. I had to use the super long scale. I would think that the rest of their line would produce similar results but I could be wrong. :)
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    How thick is the body on that ATK? My old Gibson Ripper taught
    me somethin' about string-thru. While its body is kinda' wide, it's
    also sorta' thin. Because of that, I thought I could get away with
    tryin' a T/I set for "34" inch scale" (JF344). No dice. None of the
    silk wraps cleared the nut. Had to go with JF364's.

The GHS site lists a set of boomers (nickel plated steel rounds)
    called "Long Scale Plus". They're s'posed to fit 34", 35", and
    36" scales. And like's been said, the D'Addario XL series -
    nickel plated steel rounds - come in "super long" scale.

They're both about $20 / set at just strings.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've had good luck with Fender strings on my through body strung Jazz Bass. They make a lot of basses with TBS so I guess they accomodate them with their strings.
  7. Ok dude !

I've put Ernie Ball Slinky Nickels on my ATK in body-thru ! ( green slinky package )

if you don't detune to F#, the B-string will fit perfectly, the thick part starts exactly on the edge of the nut.. fits perfect !
  8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    DR Sunbeams and other DR strings are quite long, and have worked out well on a variety of my basses, including a Ripper with through-body stringing and another bass I modified for through body stringing. Disregarding their length, I like both their nickel strings quite a bit.
  9. I just threw a set of Ken Smith tapers on my FMT through body and they worked fine. In fact, all the strings I've tried have worked fine. No problem with length at all. In fact I still have to trim the tops so there isnt overwinding.

The main reason I just string through body is there is less chance I will screw up my finish, as I could if I went straight through the bridge. I also believe the tension is better for my finger playing.
  10. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements

Are you saying that the string tension is different with the same string at the same pitch if you go through-body rather than otherwise?
  11. Well I'm not technically minded enough to KNOW if thats actually true - but to MY fingers, I like the tension of through body better than through bridge - it feels a bit more taut. I tend to play down by the bridge pickup a lot, and I really play hard, so it kind of helps me out. I have the strongest callouses west of the Mississippi :D

Again, whether its ACUTALLY true that the tension is different or not is beyond me, and you can get official info from someone else.

12. Yes !

the strings are more bent, and therefore tighter..
    it is hard to explain, but it's the same concept as a string-tree..
  13. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    > the strings are more bent, and therefore tighter..

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Are you saying that the string holds to the saddle more securely at the witness point (possible), or that the same string has more tension as played (impossible)?
  14. It has always seemed to me that there is more tension at the saddle point when done through body, because of the angle the string takes at that point. Running through the bridge is more straight (flat) so it seems the tension point is further back. I know this might make no sense, especially scientifically, but I follow my brain most of the time, which often leads to trouble :D

15. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think what you mean to say is that the string gets better purchase - grabs better - on the saddle with a sharper angle. That's probable. It might not slide back and forth on the saddle laterally as much, and that could change the perceived "tension" by feeling more solid.

But it is a physical impossibility for the same (or identical) string of the same played length (nut to saddle length) at the same pitch to have anything but the identical actual tension.

Given the same string, you can't change the length, pitch or tension without affecting at least one of the others. It would defy physics.

Think about it. It's pretty obvious.