What strings for vintage tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Persuader, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    I'm playing alot of Beatles and oldies ( America,Chicago,Seals&crofts ect) so should i use flatwounds and didn't Mccartney use a pick most of the time?
  2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I believe McCartney always used a pick.
    But I can be wrong, as always.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know much about McCartney, but Joe Osborn played on a lot of that America stuff, and he used a pick and Fender Flatwounds. "Horse With No Name" is a really good example of this sound. I've heard that McCartney used Pyramid flats.

That said, plenty of people play this type of music with rounds, and it works OK. I personally prefer flats for most of what I'm doing, but, as always, YMMV.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would definitely say to use flats. Old, crusty, decade-old flats. And as an added bonus, you only have to change your strings every five years or so. You will save lots of money.
  5. Think about this: McCartney used flatwounds, played with a pick and used that short scale
    Hofner bass. Get my drift?

Mike J.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    With flats, actually, you just put 'em on and leave 'em on. Never change them, unless, maybe, you break one. Then you could think about changing just that one. That's all.
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, that's the way Joe and James did it. TI's, IME, really don't sound too great until at they're at least a month old.
  8. McCartney used flats 'cos that's all there was until 1965 when Rotosound produced the roundwound. He used a pick for two reasons, first, that's what we did back then, NOBODY played with fingers except James J, and second, have you ever tried to play a Hofner 500/1 with fingers? It's horrible! The string spacing is very narrow and can really only be played with a pick.
    Also, amps and cabs from that era were notoriously "lo-fi", and a pick was the way to get attack from a combination of dull amp, dull strings and primitive recording equipment.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    For a vintage tone with a P-Bass, get Labella flatwounds. It's what Jamerson used at Motown.

Will C.:cool:
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Persuader- When I tried being McCartney Jr. in the 60's, I used Fender flats on my Hofner copy and a felt pick. I used a Vox Royal Guardsman for a while but it sucked. However, the strings and felt pick got me pretty close.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I gotta coupla sets 'o Jamerson Labella flats I'd sell at a reasonable price. New in packages, of course. Email me.
  12. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Paul has always used Pyramids on all his basses.He use's a pick 98% of the time.
    He still use's Pyramids today on all his basses.
    I use Pyramids on my Ric and my P-bass and on my 62ri jazz.
    My 62 ri which is a usa 2000 model just didn't have the sound I was looking for.I tried 12 different sets of strings in 6 weeks time then a set of Pyramids.This woke this bass right up,now I cant put it down.I play alot of Beatle tune and alot of the 60's and 70's and this is the sound I was looking for.You can get nice warm glowing tone or a nice barking growl with these strings.They will last about a year with heavy playing.
    I've used Pyramids a long time on other basses and NEVER been disapointed.