Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings good for 2Tek Hamer ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    have one of the last of the american made hamer 2-tek, active EMG electronics, 4-banger, tune one whole step low.
    i have always used medium-to-heavier strings

The 2tek bridge can really overkill sustain [i dampen], and the whole rig can get really bright to the aggravating degree, so I usually have the treble cut a little bit, bass flat unless I'm biasing the rear pickup

what strings work well with this bass that are beefy and none-too-bright ?

z

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Are they the EMG-JVs (exposed polepieces)? I played a 2tek with that set and thought it was an amazing bass. For roundwounds on my USA 2Tek with duncans, I use DR high beams. Those will probably end up being a little bright for you, so I'd suggest some La Bella Hard Rockin Steels or Sadowsky Bright Nickels ... or check out some flatwounds. I've got Sadowsky flats on the Hamer now and its fantastic (though with those I like to use the passive tone control, which I don't think you have).

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have DR Lowbeams on my newly acquired Cruise with 2-Tek.

They have a killer low-mid emphasis without being to trebly, unless you want them to be.

Great bass. :hyper: My U.S. Fender Jazz is going to be history. No comparison in my book.

I think my pups were SD Vintage, but the logo has worn off, so I am not sure.

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    sincity
    thanx for the tip. i definitely need to try something diff.
    and CONGRATS on scoring the Cruise. people don't give these up very easily so they can be hard to find. mine has been one of the great buys i ever made, and is worth right now about 50% more than what i paid for it.... except for all the scratches i have added from constant use!

trebly i don't need! i'm forever trying to suppress the sparkle with the current strings. but the thing is, the cruise goes both ways a long ways... huge bottom ability. i rarely turn the bass control into the 'gain' portion much at all

5. My 2-TEK CruiseBass is loaded with passive Duncans. I use D'Addario Chromes (flats) on mine and I love the fat sound.

6. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I use DM blue steel (45/65/80/105) on both my Hamer 2-tek 4 strings. Passive pups, standard tuning. Sometimes I have to roll the highs off a little on the e.q., depending on the cabs-room, etc.

What kind of amp and cabs are you using? If you're tuned down a full step it should only need a tweak of some knobs.

7. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've just loaded TI Superalloys onto my alder/rosewood Hamer 2Tek 4-string. Pickups are passive Bill Lawrence J45's.

A bit 'brighter' sounding than I'm used to. As they mature though, the mids are coming through a bit more. On the other hand, I last has this bass strung with Fender Nickels 9150's which have nice low-mid emphasis and mellow treble, so I'm still making the change. You might find that the Fender Nickels suit you nicely.

Way better constructed bass than any Fender Jazz I've played. Scored mine a few years back and have had fun experimenting on it ever since. :)