What strings have good 'playability?'

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Daniel Baskin, Jul 16, 2005.

1. I am wondering if there is a sub-type of string out there that is geared towards their ability to be fingered quickly. I am not a beginning player and I don't have stamina or callouse issues (DB player), but sometimes I want to beable to play Tower of Power-like sixteenths a little more easily and the like. Does anyone know of any strings that could help me? I like both stainless rounds and nickel rounds, haven't tried flats yet. Thanks.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Wouldn't a lighter gauge be easier to play? If you have a light enough touch-i'd go for a set of lights. I made the switch about a year ago to lights. E.g. i went from Ernie Ball & D'Addario 45-130 gauge strings [i'm a 5er] to now i play La Bella Hard Rockin Steels 4-118. The biggest change for me w/the La Bellas is the low low low low low tension ,even more so than the KS Burners 40-120 i was playing for about 8 months. So i've had to lighter up my touch a bit to compensate.

I love the feel though and how easy they are to play, and well-the sound. I'm hoping these will last a bit longer than the KSBs-i got about 2 months max outta those [normally 1 month]. I'm hoping for 3 months per set out of the La Bellas, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

I could be wrong however.

That's all
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    IME a light tension is great for the left hand fingering but not so great for fast plucking with the right hand. A bit more tension gives me better control for faster right hand plucking but in turn is a little harder on the muscles of the left hand.
    So a compromise is required...strings with a medium tension, not too tight or too floppy.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Fodera Diamond Series strings have an almost "liquid" feel, imo. I use the stainless .028 -.040 -.060 -.080 -.100 -.120 series. As a bonus, they seem to get better with age and last quite a while, too.
  5. Even though I know that I had trouble with playing fast sixteenths, I don't think it was the strings anymore, I think I just need to start playing with 3 fingers on fast passages instead of two. That's a different topic, but IME from recently trying out 3 fingers, I can play slightly faster for a short duration than with two already, and that's without a lot of technique practicing. So anyway, thanks for the info, I believe I already use medium-light (mostly medium) strings, so I'm good to go. Sorry for the inconvenience that I already have good playability strings. *I think*