What strings have light blue silk wrapping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Moondog, Mar 1, 2003.

1. I just bought a bass with light guage roundwound strings, appear to be nickel plated. They have very light blue silk ends. Does anybody know what these are?

I really like them and would like to know so I can get the same kind when they wear out. Thanks!!!
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Could be Dean Markley Blue Steels. I use them on a couple on my Brubakers and they're sweet. Last forever too.
    socialleper likes this.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    if they're Dean Markley blue steels, they have a black ball, iirc. the steve harris sig strings are flatwounds....and they are of a really heavy guage.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some D'Addario strings come with blue silk ends.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Some Fender strings also have light blue ends, depending on the type and gauge.

EDIT: The 7350s have red ends, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 7150s use light blue wrap.
  7. slwounds are the only sets i know like that, of D'Addario's, and they have 'string color codes' at the other end ..
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, the only string in a set of slowounds with a blue silk at the headstock end is the A string, and it's not light blue...the ball end silks are all dark blue.
  9. Well they are not Flatwound, so not Steve Harris sigs. They have a brass ball and and they are nickel and very smooth so they're not Blue Steels. They're not Fender 7150's because I've tried those and they have gold wrappings. So thanks guys, keep your answers coming, surely someone has used these strings.
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dean markley nickel plated steels maybe? they have an almost white silk wrap.... :confused:
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Alembic CX-3's, maybe?...

13. No, they're not taperwound. I guess they could be Alembics but that does seem like a stretch. It is very light blue, maybe it is Dean Markleys.. Any other possibilities anyone can think of? Thanks!!!
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'm going to the music supermarket today (as a matter of fact, it's to buy new Fender strings), I'll see if I can find out for sure which Fenders have the light blue ends.

I haven't given up on you yet, Moondog!
  15. Cool, I appreciate it. It's getting kind of frustrating. I found out Dean Markley's have black ball ends and Blue Steel are the only ones with blue silk. The ones I have have brass ball ends and they sure look and feel like nickel to me. They may very well be Fenders.
  16. hellaciousness11

Jun 3, 2015
    I am also looking for a similar set of strings for my bass. Anyone know what strings these are? I was thinking they might be some Blue Steel after reading through this thread, but can anyone help verify? Bass strings are expensive and I would not like to waste any money.
    IMG_0208[1].JPG IMG_0207[1].JPG
  17. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    These are the strings I recall having light blue wraps.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

Those do look like silks for Blue Steels, but Blue Steels will have black ball ends and no silk at the ball end.

Maybe check with @SLaPiNFuNK who owns Bass Strings Online, maybe he knows. He'll also get you the best price on your strings so they won't be as expensive.

19. fetch

Jan 10, 2014

I have Swing Bass 66 Nickels and they have light blue silks and brass ball ends (no silk at ball end)