Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings last longest for slapping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I heard Elixers work well,any other kind?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    D'Addario Prisms last me a while. At least 3x longer then the Smith's and GHS' I used to use.

3. I have a lot of success with the Thomastik Power Bass Series.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Prisms are Stainless Steel, correct? What are the main differences between stainless and nickel?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Stainless are brighter and have a cool 'crunch' to the tone. Nickels always sound muffled to my ears... plus I prefer the roughness of Stainless to the slimmy of Nickel.

YMMV... this is just my observation.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Peavey Stainless, stainless steels worked well for me and arent very expensive. I also like the SloWounds.

7. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Sonically:
    Since stainless steel strings are coarser, they will conjure more finger grime and collect more microscopic fragments, which seem, more or less and among other factors, to dim the strings' brightness. As I have observed, stainless steel strings, although more harmonically brilliant at first, will typicaly not stay as bright as their nickel plated counterparts.

Mechanically:
    Strings sitting on saddles with less sharp witness points last longer. This we know.
    When strings sit over the saddles at a less severe angle, it is always logical to assume that they are less prone to break there as soon.

Optimally, the string beak angle at the saddle must be severe enough not to buzz and gentle enough to yield longer string life.

8. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

So, yes. Stainless are brightest at first, but nickel retains its brightness the longest.
    -Elixirs just seem phenomenal, sometimes.

Elixirs!
    Or nickel.
    Or just cleanly kept stainless.

Anything played with clean hands, in my opnion.

9. Avoid GHS boomers, they're only bright for a short while.

10. True GHS boomers sound great the first few days. Then, you can change them...if you want a bright sound!
    I like Dean Markley SR2000 they work great and are last longer than GHS ,longer!

11. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Dont forget guys that no matter how bright a string is when new or how long it will last , is in my opinion , totally dependent on cleanliness . Cleaning my strings with isopropyl alcohol after every set/practice makes them piano string bright for months ...clean your hands with hot water before every set too ! , mechanical damage [ fret divots ] ,is the final killer for strings :-}

12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    And in tandem with that, if the core of the string is round....then less gunk ala sweat and dirt can get into the string, making it go dead faster. That is why I use DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams. They are SS on a round core. They are very bright and last a really long time. DR Lo Riders are on a Hex Core and still last even longer than most strings to me. I know a lot of folks like nickel wrapped strings for funk, but they seem to sound great at first but die much faster.

13. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    you say elixers are great... but what about black diamond black coated strings? and what about bootzillas or the black beauties (both by DR)?