Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings make BG sound closer to Double Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan Relhby, Apr 7, 2002.

1. I really want to make my Fender Jazz Bass sound as close to DB as it could. Perhaps I just should buy DB, but now I don't have this opportunity.. So can anyone advise me what certain model(s) of strings to buy? Thanks!

2. haiku

haiku

Apr 6, 2002
    Most any flatwounds.
    Try Fender 9050s
    Or some Rotosounds.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried a stack of flats, and the ones that are the most URB-ish to my ear are the Fenders. Very thumpy and tubby sounding, but with good sustain. If you want them to sound even more URB-ish, use a foam mute under the strings down at the bridge.

4. I use Thomastic-Infield Jazz flats on my Jazz and Precision fretless. I use Pyramid Gold Nickel flats on my Alembic. I use LaBella gut strings on my Kay upright.

Gale

5. I agree with the Fender 9050 recommendation. These are very warm flatwounds with a "thump" on the low end like you are being hit in the chest. :D

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I would have to strongly recommend LaBella black nylon tape flatwounds(Deep Talkin'). Great for dub/reggae or walking swing. If you have an acoustic bass guitar, try Thomastik-Infeld AB-344's. These are good for piezo pickups. Nothing beats an old standup with Spirocores on it,however, so keep saving...

7. Good suggestions so far, but, AHA! Not all DBs sound the same. :D

My MIM fretless Jazz came with Fender strings, but, I don't know if they were 9050s. Anyway, I put a set of Rotosound 77s on it, and the tone really came to life. A little less thumpier than the Fenders and more open sounding. Closer to a roundwound. Both are good strings. Haven't tried the Thomastics yet.

Mike J.

8. Thanks for your recommendations. Did anybody use those flatwounds on fretted base? What does it sound like?

9. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    TI-jazz flats. They are very low tension but sound amazing. As close to DB as I've heard. I've also tried fender 9050's and D'Addario chromes. If you want a DB sound TI is the way to go.

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dan- Yeah, I've used a ton of flats on fretted. I'm sticking with my 9050 recommendation, but there's nothing wrong with TI's, either. They probably sound more like an upright with TI Spirocores.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Haiku's are stupid
    You are crap for liking them
    I should kick your arse

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    piezos also work