Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings on your Fender P bass?...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Jan 25, 2005.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    ... everyone! and what style (fingers, pick, both)?
    :bassist:

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Chromes or TI's
    Finger and Pick.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Ash with a maple board finger style. D'Addario EXL 160s. Nickel wound .050-.105s.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I like the TI Jazz Flats, but the chromes are nice too.

I also liked the Fender 9050ML's too. But TI jazz flats are what I use.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I don;t know what is on my pbass now as I bought used. but I am thinking of trying LaBellas Deep Talking that comes with the Bassics magazine subscription.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Fender 9050 ML's or TI Jazz Flats. Currently it is the Fender's. Actually not my P any more but family has it and I play it from time to time.

Only reason the Fender's are possibly better is not quality but a mere tension desired.

TI's are not as tight as the Fenders. That doesn't mean they aren't as playable nor does it mean they are more desirable it is just a personal preference.

If you kind of like rounds then for sure the TI Jazz flats are going to be the flats for you. They have a touch more mids than the Fender's will.

IMHO

tk

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Currently have on a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats standard. Not sure if I like them. I may go back to Chromes regular.

I also like the Fender 9050M Flats.

Oh, and I play fingerstyle.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fingerstyle, and I alternate between D'Addario Slowounds and TI Jazz Flats.

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    DR High beams 45-100. Finger or Tortex .60mm orange pick.

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Medium gauge La Bella Deep Talkin' Rounds.

Tom

11. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    On one bass, I currently have GHS Boomers 45-105 rounds. I like 'em A LOT. The tension feels right for me.

I keep flats on another bass. Currently Fender 9050s the 50 - 100 set. Best flats I've used.

On another bass I have a set of Markley's that is ground wound overthe frets and roundwound over the pickups. I like them too. 50 - 105.

I have to say that at the moment I'm enjoying the Boomers the most.

12. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Today, I don't know. I bought mine used also. Tomorrow, LaBella Deep Talkin Flats - I just picked them up and am going to string them tomorrow, after my lesson.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I just set mine back up to play with a roots-rock/blues band... Fingers with D'Addario Chromes gives me the sound that I and the guys are looking for...

-robert

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    D'Addario Chrome Flats or TJ Jazz Flats. I found the D'Addarios to be tighter and stiffer. The TJ's required a softer touch or adjusting the bridge up for a slightly higher action to keep them from clanking on the frets. If you have an aggressive playing style I would go with the Chromes.

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'd been using the TI flats and they sound nice, but I got tired of that loose tension. Right now I'm experimenting with rounds for that 70's rock tone. I want big booty and fundamental, good growl, and not too bright or clanky. Any recomendations? I've got some DR Fatbeams on the way as I heard they're a bit more growly and less bright than LoRiders, so we'll see. If I can't find what I'm after I'll just go with Chromes or back to heavy Fender nickels.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How do you play (fingerstyle, pick?) I've found I can get a really nice, deep growl from my P with Chromes if I pluck hard (not popping) fingerstyle.

17. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    D'Addario slowwounds.

I mainly play with my fingers and those slowwounds get a wonderfull rubbery feel and fat tone when they mature.

18. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I do play fingerstyle. I'm probably just wasting my time and money on rounds, but it's fun and cheaper than new basses. :smug:

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Fingerstyle only - I used to use Slowounds (light guage), but since they've been discontinued, I'm trying to find another brand that sounds and feels as good.

I have some Dean Markley NickelSteels on right now, and they're pretty good. I have to shop around, though, and find what works best as a replacement.