1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings originally came on a Dano Longhorn?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Boomer, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I'm polishing a turd and doing some work to a Dano Longhorn RI. It's getting an adjustable bridge and a pair of Kent Armstrong pickups.

I haven't used anything but roundwounds in a very, very long time.

So, why would I want round, flat or half rounds?

All suggestions considered.

Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    From what I heard, the RI used Danelectro strings made to their specs by Dean Markley.

I switced to TI flats when i got my DC> They sound and play great.

I had an original Longhorn in 1960. It had some kind of factory roundwounds that i never changed. i didn't know much about sound then so never thought of changing them. You didn't have many choicees then either.They were pretty twangy and I traded the bass for a Fender P a year later.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The D'Addario Nickel Rounds, (I think that they are EXL-170), in short-scale sound great... especially a month in...

-robert

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Given what type of tone one generally wants when reaching for a Dano, I'd say put flats on it.

D'addario Chrome Flats. They're bright for a flat wound, and have a lot of tension, which may coax a bit more tone out the o'le cardboard box.

TI Flats if you want low tension for better playability.