1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what strings shall I put on my fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TD3691, Mar 3, 2010.

1. what would you suggest I use.
    Currently my other bass (Fender P-bass) i have La Bella Deep talkin flats and they give some extremely deep bass which i love but for my other bass (Fretless J-bass) i don't want the same sound,
    i want something with a bit more punch like sum of the Police or Cure tracks

example sound:
    Message in a bottle - Police
    So lonely - Police
    Cure - A Forest
    Cure - Lovecats (i know its a upright bass)

have a listen to those tracks, basically I want something different from my Labella's as they are nice laid back dub bass but I want this bass to have a more prominent punchy sound.

2. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    try some med light halfrounds or groundwounds. i like the 95-40 set.

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    GHS Pressurewounds or GHS Briteflats.

4. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    TI Jazz Flats

5. Yes, +1.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sting uses (or at least used to use) DR Sunbeams- nickle wrap on a round core- for his basses. In The Police days he used Rotosound rounds. So go figure...

John

7. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Rotosound steels and GHS Super Steels for fretless

8. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    I like D'Addario's "1/2 round" set on a fretless. Good luck

9. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Fretless Jazz + TI JF's = :hyper::bassist::hyper:

10. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Wow. Steels on a fretless? That's going to make hamburger out of your fingerboard in no time flat.

I am loving GHS Pressurewound on my fretless Stingray 5. Yeah, I'm getting a little more marking on my fingerboard than with groundwounds (D'Addario Halfrounds, Ken Smith Slickrounds), but it's worth the tradeoff for the added zing. Groundwounds sounded lifeless on the B and E strings. These GHS Pressurewounds sing.

BTW, don't base your choice for your fretless on what Sting uses (or used) on fretted basses. Different animals.

11. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    T I Flats IMO are the bomb. after having said that ,i believe the sound your looking for would best come from DR Sunbeams . I have a Jazz Fretless and it came with DR'S and i have to say they sounded pretty good. Kind of rough feeling to me though .So i immediatly went back to my fav.TI J344. Just really hard to beat these strings.

12. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    thomastik infeld!

13. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    only a sanding and recoat every few years. just regular maintenance to me. never cared for flatwounds or nickels

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I use Fender 7150XL pure nickel rounds on my fretless, with DiMarzio Model J's. I really like it.

I say, use what you find you like best, and enjoy!

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    I'm a huge fan of DR strings. IME/IMHO, Sunbeam Nickel are the best fretless string out there. Great, great tone and feel.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020