Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings should I get if...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    ..I want a very deep/bottomy sound that is not "brightish". Ive just strung a set of Nickel Roundwound D'Addario XLs and theyre too lively and bright for my liking. Any ideas? :)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Try playing the snot out of them. The brightness will go away especially since they're new.

I can't reco another string....you have no profile info filled in so I know nothing about what kind of bass you are talking about.:rolleyes:

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Allright Ive just filled out my profile. Ive got a Cort GB44. Humbucker at the bridge and a j pickup at the neck. The bass is very deep sounding and has alot of growl because of the humbucker but since I've used XLs, I found it to be too bright which is not what I want. I want a deep sounding bass. And if it helps, I play with a pick and I play punk rock and other rock related stuff. Cheers

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Good going, cone!!! You'll find having it filled out will give you better answers/comments every time you post.

Knowing you have a J-style pickup helps a lot because you should be able to expect a very "deep and bottomy" (as you said) sound from that design.

One of the best I've ever used for those characteristics are Fender 9050's. They're a stainless steel flatwound - very smooth feel, very shiny appearance, and should give a HUGE, thumpy, sound with a decent bass.
    Flatwounds don't have that "ring" that seems to bother you. The 9050's can even give nice, big-bottom, jazz and reggae sounds.

La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass are another string I've used for big bottom. They go very well with Jazz pickups. My only gripe was that they didn't last as long as the Fenders did FOR ME. YMMV.

I've heard the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats are excellent, too, for big, bassy, sound and no "ring"

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey you've been a great help. Thanks alot man!I'll email my local store right now and ask em if the 9050s are in stock. Thanks.

6. As rickbass said.. Play the crap out of them.. XLs are one of my favorite strings.. and sound pretty fat and botomy when old.. So if you don't want to get rid of them just keep on using them with your hands sweaty and greasy and you'll have what youre looking for in a couple of days..
    :D

BTW if you don't like the feel of flatwounds, try D'Addario slowounds, they say the sound very deep.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah Ive always contemplate on trying slowounds but never really did put much serious thought to it. I might try them if the store doesnt stock the Fender strings. I think the set of strings that came with my essex bass was flatwounds and IMO..theres not much feel but I guess comparisons cant be made with the Fender because the Fender 9050s are stainless steel. I'll let you guys know on my decision once I get a reply from the guitar store.

Cheers! :cool:

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    LOL. Actually..weird but true..I don't sweat much...I have no idea why. I dont even sweat much when Im engaged in a sport. That should give you an idea of how long it would take for me to play before my hands get sweaty and greasy and besides I don't really like my strings to get clogged by sweat, etc...just a personal preference. Id really hate to drench my strings with my eeeky sweat. :D

9. Did somebody mention flatwounds yet? They don't have allot of high end, and are quite nice sounding.

10. Go for the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. I really like the tone and, given their lighter tension than other Flatwounds, feel really great.