Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings to emphasize the lower mids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew T., Dec 26, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I have a MIM Jazz with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups. It has plenty of highs and lows, but the mids could be fuller. I have Rotosound Swingbass 66s on it now. They sound good, but I'm still looking to improve matters.

So far: Slowounds are too bassy and Sunbeams are too transparent, for lack of a better term.

Fat Beams? XLs? Nickel Lo-Riders?

2. Fat-Beams has a good mid-range, and emphasizes the lower midrange too. Haven't tried Lo-riders nickel, but the steel version is more bassy than Fat-Beams, with a less pronounced mid-range. I would say that Fat-Beams sounds a lot like Slowounds, but with a more aggressive hi-end and not so bassy. They miss a little of the nickel warmth being ss, though.

Could you describe the differences between the Slowounds and Sunbeams. Did you think the sunbeams was too thin sounding?

3. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    On my Jazz, through my Workingman's 12, the Sunbeams didn't have the body and definition I'm looking for. I guess they did sound kind of thin. The Slowounds were better, but their warmth combined with my pick ups bottom end was too much of a good thing.

As a rule of thumb, do hex cores have more pronounced mids?

4. As the roundcore Fat-Beams has more mids than the hexcore Lo-Riders and less than the hexcore Slowounds, I wouldn't say so.

(...thanks for the SB vs. SW info :) )

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes, I loved the lows on slowwounds but they were too smooth, lacked a midrange bite. So I went to Low Riders SS and it has the same lows as the slowwounds but good bite from the mids and highs. I love em!!!!!!