1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings to use for musicals?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RobWebBass, Nov 15, 2018.

1. RobWebBass

RobWebBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi folks,

I’m a double bassist who is looking to jump into the world of musicals and relearn electric. I have dug out my old 5-string that I played in high school (an Ibanez SR 305 DX, one of the ones with 4 knobs) and I’ve been putting some time into getting back into shape to play.

One thing I am clueless about is strings. If I’m playing music in a variety of styles like many shows call for, what strings should I look at that will allow me to be versatile? Does it even matter? I know nothing about electric bass strings so I’m really looking for some suggestions toward what I should pick up.

Thanks all for your replies to a clueless returning player.

2. For someone who's just getting back to playing an electric bass and looking for something versatile, I would recommend nickel-plated-steel rounds.

I'll be trying out a set of GHS Round Core Boomers 45-126 on my Yamaha 5-string as my all-purpose bass.

SteveC likes this.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I don't think it really matters. Last show I played was with D'Addario Chromes. The one before that was Rotosound RS66c.

jonathanhughes likes this.
  4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    As many said, the strings aren't that big of a factor in musical theatre (and that's my usual gig). As long as your bass sounds good, you like it - and the MD is happy with the sound - you'll be just fine.

That said...

I'll tailor my instrument to the score if I can. I played "Sister Act" with my '74 Jazz with Round Core Bass Boomers on it. I played "Shrek" with my Hilton 5 string, with Progressives. The productions of "Hair" that I've done have been on a P Bass with Precision Flats. You can get very particular IF YOU WANT, but it's not completely necessary.

Root 5 likes this.