Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings to use on slide (ala morphine)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by top028, Jan 20, 2003.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I redisovered mark sandman of morphine, and I love the lazy (opiate high) groove sound. I just got a glass slide big enough for my sausage links. I have been having trouble getting a good sound out of my basses. I have a 5string fretted jazz copy with rotosound swing bass, 5 string ibanez fretless jazz copy with rotosound swing bass, and a 4 string fretless jazzbox with TI flats. I tried all of them and I get too much clacky noise from the rotosounds, and dead rough sound from the TI flats. Also there is lots of drag from the TI flats. Should I try nickle round wounds? Chromes flats? Maybe nylon wrapped strings?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    If I recall correctly, he used D'Adarrio XL Nickel Rounds.

3. It definatly sounds as though he uses roundwounds. I think you need to focus on your technique and amp settings to reduce the clacking. If you use flats or tapes, you won't get the same sound. I know how annoying clanking bass can be.
    Good luck.

4. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks. I think most of it is in the technique, because I was playing around yesterday and I got a decent sound. I think there is a lot of finesse needed. It only worked well on the A-G strings. I could raise the action on the B and E strings, But I have an old short scale bass I plan on getting a new nut cut... string it A-C with no radius. (I know Mark Sandman only had two strings, but I dont want to totally copy a style so creative)