What strings to use on slide (ala morphine)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by top028, Jan 20, 2003.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I redisovered mark sandman of morphine, and I love the lazy (opiate high) groove sound. I just got a glass slide big enough for my sausage links. I have been having trouble getting a good sound out of my basses. I have a 5string fretted jazz copy with rotosound swing bass, 5 string ibanez fretless jazz copy with rotosound swing bass, and a 4 string fretless jazzbox with TI flats. I tried all of them and I get too much clacky noise from the rotosounds, and dead rough sound from the TI flats. Also there is lots of drag from the TI flats. Should I try nickle round wounds? Chromes flats? Maybe nylon wrapped strings?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    If I recall correctly, he used D'Adarrio XL Nickel Rounds.

3. It definatly sounds as though he uses roundwounds. I think you need to focus on your technique and amp settings to reduce the clacking. If you use flats or tapes, you won't get the same sound. I know how annoying clanking bass can be.
    Good luck.

4. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks. I think most of it is in the technique, because I was playing around yesterday and I got a decent sound. I think there is a lot of finesse needed. It only worked well on the A-G strings. I could raise the action on the B and E strings, But I have an old short scale bass I plan on getting a new nut cut... string it A-C with no radius. (I know Mark Sandman only had two strings, but I dont want to totally copy a style so creative)