What Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright, I'm going to buy a new set of strings for my Corvette 5 string. Since these things don't come cheap, I want to buy the right strings and not have to buy 3 different sets before finding the right ones, I'm fairly poor you see :)

Now, I am looking for nice all-round roundwound strings, as tight as possible, because I'm not verry fond of the strings I have now, rather loose if you ask me, smoothness would be cool ...I like to slap too, so a nice slap sound would be appreciated. Taped or non-taped? What are the pro's and cons?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nobody? It's rather urgent you know...
  3. DR Lo-Riders are tight. If you want smooth you might want the nickel Lo-Riders which I bet wouldn't available locally to you. D'addario XL's would fit the bill too I think. But it's difficult to recommend something when we don't know what's on your bass now.

Good luck
  4. For healthy tension, try Fedora Diamonds 5-string set, either stainless or nickel. Both work great on my 5-string. Great B-String. Tight, great tone. The stainless is tighter, but the nickel is noticibly tighter than other brands of strings I've used. I use the extra long scale.

I agree with the DR, but have never cared for any of the D'Addarios that I've tried. My own opinion.

Tapered are thought to have more sustain, but Bass Player Magazine in their string test a few years ago liked the non-tapered better for tone.
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Rotosound baby! The only way to fly...a little rough on the fingers but they last forever and seem very "tight" to me.
    I have also had good luck with GHS boomers...Nickle so not as bright but seem to last just as long.
  6. AntWhistle

Jul 26, 2004
    Norwich, UK.
    Yeah, Rotosound swings are the way to go.

An all round good roundwound, not too pricey, and a decent slap string.