1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings...

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by shatterd, Mar 3, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Just got my first bass...a G&L Tribute L2000

I need to put on new strings.

I'm a newb....beginner, former guitarists(almost two years).

Not sure what strings to put on.

I bought some with the bass....

These are Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Bass 45,65,85,105 Custom Gauge RoundWound

Will these strings be fine for me. For a while I'll be practicing and taking lessons, and learning songs. Gigs later down the road.

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Those should fit just fine. You may need to adjust the truss and intonation but the process is no different than doing that stuff on a geetar.

Jim

3. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I checked the intonation. It seems pretty darn close....maybe just off very very slightly on the D string at the 12th fret octave note.

Not sure if I should adjust the truss rod. The action isn't bad. There is a little buzzing....probably from my technique, trying to adapt to the bigger strings and longer scale.

This bass might need some very minor adjustments, but it seems like it was pretty good out of the box. I'll have someone check it out.:bassist:

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Congrats on your new purchase. I have the same bass and I love it.

As for strings, it depends on what kind of tone you want. Bright sound = roundwounds, mellow sound = flatwounds.

Try the strings you have. You can always change them later if you dont like them. A lot of bassists go through a few different types and brands of string before they settle on one.