1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steele, Apr 19, 2009.

1. steele

steele

Jan 11, 2008
    I just tried Dr hi-beams and for me they are to bright and twangy. I liked ernie ball slinkys. But I want something not so bright so that I can get a good deep smooth tone, but still with a good slap tone. Any suggestions?

2. i've just converted to using DR hi beams, only cos i was searching for very very bright zingy strings.

but for your needs, i recommend the SIT powerwounds.
    not too expensive and very nice sounding (not as bright as DR hi beams but bright enough for good slap tone).

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    For me, the SIT powerwounds are still too bright. I have recently started using Dunlop's nickel set, they aren't as bright as the Ernie Ball, and seem to age better as well.

Strings are so subjective though.

I played a friends bass and it had Sadowsky Blue Labels (nickel), they were older strings, but played very nicely, and were pretty warm.

4. +1 - SIT Powerwounds are warm / bright strings that wil last a while, and are easy on the fingers plus they're fairly inexpensive. ;)

For the price at least try them once if you're going with nickel plated rounds - you might like their tone/feel ;)