Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bcarll, Dec 4, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Just bought a used bass and the strings are just great on it. They are so smooth like some flats that I have felt. However they are not flats nor groundrounds just a nice smooth roundwound that sounds great. They have begun to rust so time to change so does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might replace them with that has that super slick feel? I play jazz and have thought about Thomastick Infield jazz flats for a replacement but what do you all think could be on this bass now.

bcarll

2. If you play jazz the TI J flats are an excellent choice. What kind of bass are these going on?

The GHS Precision Flats are also worth looking into.
    or perhaps the rotosound flats.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Do the stings on the bass Have a wrapping if so what color is it?

AJ

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'll second that.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like their Nickel Round wounds as well.

6. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Thanks for all your suggestions and to answer some of your questions --- the ends of strings have a black winding --- strings are going on a Hayman 40/40 (English made '73 era) great bass btw. -- If I wanted to stay with the rounds what strings have this nice smooth feel like the flats I have seen?

Probably will go with the TI flats -- seems like everyone who tries them really loves them and gets that nice jazzy sound. Why do us electric bassists try so hard to acheive that DB sound?

bcarll