Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What style of music with your Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Nov 30, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I want to get an idea what type of music people are playing with their Marcus Miller 4s or 5s. Funk, R&B, Blues, etc. And technique ie: finger or pick. I havent seen too many played around the Metro area.

2. I'm curious too; I'm thinking of getting one.

Mike

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    FUNK!

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I WAS playing everything on mine until I got my Sadowsky 5. Now a divide my playing between the Sadowsky and my NS Designs upright. Actually I'm getting more calls for the EUB. The MM5 is a great bass. Mine is for sale. Nudge, nudge ;);) I actually think the MM5 looks cooler than my Sadowsky. Given the choice again I would get a Sadowsky Vintage 5. Oh Oh, there goes the GAS-o-meter again.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I usually play my MM for my working Top 40 group that has a Smooth Jazz repertoire as well - the music really seems to call for that sound. Plus, a lot of the stuff we do are covers of stuff that Marcus played on anyway, so it's somewhat appropriate.

That said, I've seen guys locally in pretty much every genre playing MM basses. Punk, rock, metal, country, what have you, and they all sounded from pretty good right up to really great.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The bass player from Opeth uses a MM4 for Opeth's unique brand of progressive death metal. Sounds great both live and on the albums!

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    +2 his live tone was very nice.

8. :D

Mike :oops:

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I use it (MM5) for every thing,Gospel,Jazz,R&b,Bluegrass,etc. it's a great bass in its STOCK stock form

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The MM 4's I've played have all had the nicest thumb-style sound of any bass I've played.

11. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    I use my MM jazz in a jazz-improv, spoken word ensemble. We cover a VERY wide range of material, from blues/jazz,, to really avant garde "out " stuff. My Marcus Jazz does it all with aplomb. It has a crystal clear, super even tone. I also play blues gigs on the side, and the Marcus sounds really great with the treble rolled off a smidge, bass full on. I mostly play fingerstyle, preferring to NOT slap anymore. What a cliche! Some of the funkiest stuff I've heard has been just good ole fingerstyle. The Marcus picks up all the nuances and ghost notes, etc. with excellent results.

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Are these really 'all that'? Several that I played sounded kind of bland and nothing 'like marcus'. I've always prefered a standard MIA with maple board. Seems to always be closer to the actual marcus tone.

Maybe I've just come across some lemons. I love that sound and would gladly use it in my metal tinged rock band. I've been trying for that sound for years. I'm about to give up and try and build a warmoth.

Troll

13. The guy from Opeth uses an MM.

So I guess it's good for Funk and Death Metal.

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    This is the reason why I bought it because it doesn't really sound like a 70's jazz bass(I already have one of those)but it has the the type of fullness (low mids) that I like,and the B string is good also but I can get to sound just like my 74 Jazz if I wanted to and to add to this, it has the asymetrical type neck that I like.