What technique is Jake Wolfe using?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ON the www.accugroove.com website under artists.

On jake wolfe's song is that muting? What is the proper way to obtain that type of sound when playing the bass from volume level all the way to hand technique?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's many ways to achieve this. You can do a muted strum, do a fieldy, or simply use your two hands like you would with slapping, except without slapping. Just drum a little bit.
  3. Im sorry i should have been more specific. I was meaning the actual bass line on the bottom, not the strum sound that he is doing.
    The bass attack sounds real short and there is no sustain in the notes. I like that sound.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I guess it's just muting. I tend to rest the meat of my hand (the chunk between my pinky and my wrist) on the strings over the bridge saddles. Then I can thumb pluck and use my index, and middle finger to play the higher strings. With this, I dont have to move my right hand too much at all, and can reach every string on my Fbass 6'er (which has really wide spacing).

but yeah, in terms of the bass line, it's just thumb plucking with the strings partially muted. And it's accented with hammer ons and pull offs with my right hand.

Glad you liked it.

5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I was going to say what he said, until he said it himself.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    let me know if i can help