What technique is this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NecroButcher, Jan 28, 2009.

1. NecroButcher

NecroButcher

Sep 26, 2008
    Hey guys this video made me learn this weird kind of slap.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2655979

Look at the fast slap he does in the beginning, at 1:04-1:13, 1:40.

I learned how to do it after some practice, and it is fun a hell to do once you can. I'm just wondering what that technique is called, if theres a name for it?

Thanks alot

2. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Ahahah! It'd be interesting to listen to something where it's musically effective.

3. Ganky

Ganky

Nov 29, 2008
    Cambridge, England
    Oooh I do that/

4. NecroButcher

NecroButcher

Sep 26, 2008
    Haha I know, but I was thinking it could be one of them bass solo's that start out a riff in some brutal tech metal. Just the different sound that you get outta it makes it sound more brutal even though I could just fingerstyle that fast.

5. mrkrinkledude

mrkrinkledude

Jan 28, 2009
    It looks like he's literally smacking the strings. Not quite slapping, I guess.

6. Matt Sto

Matt Sto

Jan 26, 2009
    Yeah, actually I use that pretty frequently. Not as something I do live for any of our songs, but I've used it quite a bit during jam sessions.
    Though I couldn't quite see exactly how he was doing it, I use the bone of my thumb(a normal slap) and the bone of my pinky and just rotate my wrist.
    It started out for me as just doing one-handed drum rolls like that on the sides of my desks in school, so that might be a good way to practice it for those who want to try this.

7. Ganky

Ganky

Nov 29, 2008
    Cambridge, England
    That's exactly how to practice it, its another air bass exercise, and you can do amazing drum rolls with one hand :p.

8. NecroButcher

NecroButcher

Sep 26, 2008
    I learned how to do it differently. I use my thumb like you said, but i use the bone at the joint of either my index or middle finger, or both on 2 strings. It is a really fun technique to play around with.

9. NecroButcher

NecroButcher

Sep 26, 2008
    Ha, I left Scott a comment over myspace asking him about it. This was his responce:
    "I am not sure if it has a name. I dont know if anyone else actouly uses it. Thanks."

10. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    either way, the sound he makes is horrible

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021