1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What technique is used to slap at this incredibly fast pace? [Video]

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BrandenSteele, Mar 21, 2013.

1. BrandenSteele

BrandenSteele

Nov 25, 2012
    Canada
    Hello! I have been playing the bass for 5 years, doing a variety of things, but slap has always been what I enjoy the most.

I am a big fan of Jonas Hellborg, and found this video

2. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Hard to tell exactly, but it looks like he's using a Slap, Hammer, Pluck pattern - also used a lot by Victor Wooten. It also seems like he's Popping with two (index and middle) fingers which adds rhythmic speed as well (also done by VW). However you Slap, practice is the key to speed. Start slow, get it clean, then gradually work on the speed. Most important: If you cannot play it SLOW, you will not play it FAST.

3. Shanannigan

Shanannigan Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    I believe Jonas has a book or two about his style of slapping out.
    As the above poster pointed out, his technique is fairly standard. I do know that he incorperates stylistic elements of Konnokol (Indian rhythmic language) though, which is pretty unique.

4. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Nah man that dude is just play a bunch of fast stuff with the regular old thumpin and poppin technique...

5. Check out Evan Brewer

6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Brewer is no good. He's using a 4x10 on top of a 15.

7. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    What does that have to do with skill?

8. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hellborg's style in that vid is essentially the same style of slapping, hammering on, and popping as Mark King of Level 42...check out some of his vids and there are lots of instructional vids out there on youtube covering it.

9. Pretty sure that is an 18" trace Elliot cab, in which case its okay :D

10. whatever you do, don't learn to do any of his facial expressions while you play. talk about 'bass face', dang!

11. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Sounds like a bass harpsichord

12. It is nothing particularly special, it's just done very fast. Youtube has tons of videos with people doing it and there are many tutorials also.

13. I watched both of the videos linked of him. Little Wing was nice when he played it. Did you notice that while he was flailing away on his bass the rest of the band was standing around watching him ? That's how useful that style of playing is.

I really like listening to and playing slap-style when it is in a band context and is driving the groove. As a solo thing - not so much.

Please note : this is just my personal opinion. If that's what you like then rock on. :)