What The Bass Player Thinks

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Acoop, Jun 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    What the bass player thinks when people talk through his bass solo? ... "That was a nice phrase." ... "I'm not sure why he went to the b5 there, ... wait, ... okay, nice resolve." ... What they're actually saying. "I don't think that lamb is sitting well, ... which ways the toilet?"

McG and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    My own band talks thru the bass solo. Whud you hit the other day? 6 over par. Not bad, I eagled the 12th....
    Sometimes they forget to come back in.

BassCliff and McG like this.
  3. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    What they may also be saying... "Why did the band stop? Where's that sound coming from?" You know, 'cause we're often invisible. :D

Gearhead17 and Nashrakh like this.
  4. City

City Supporting Member

Bass solo.? What is that? Under loved and under appreciated here. Why do you think I hang out here? Oh and if I'm watching a band and there is a bass solo, I think, "How much did he/she pay the band to get that solo?"

Beej likes this.
  5. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    You get bonus points if anyone checks their phone :) :) (Yep, it's happened to me)

We're a 6 piece, and we've lately been giving everyone in the band a percussion instrument to play when they'd normally be laying out. It started kind of as a sideline thing, during the drum solos, but now it's happening during bass solos too, and I dig it because it feels like everyone's still involved.

It's tough to play cowbell and check your phone at the same time ;)

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Soloing is a must for every player and it's not that hard but, you've got to commit. ... I prefer musicians be mindful and lay out when I solo. ... I play with one guitar player that just doesn't know how to play behind a bass solo. If I'm stretching out why add odd time fills because we'll eventually collide. ...

Mr_Moo and five7 like this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...glad I don't solo.

8. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    In my current gig, I only get a solo in one song. When it comes time, I close my eyes, tune out everything but my monitor, and dig in and nail that sucker perfectly................. Then I wake up and it's time to get ready for the gig.:roflmao:
    B.

9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I've never played a solo that lasted more than 30 seconds. Don't give them time to think!:D

Jsn likes this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I always tell my bandmates, the audience only really feels and listens to the bass, so really I'm soloing for the entire gig, thanks for the accompaniment. :D

MattZilla likes this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Once around is plenty. Say it in 12 bars or less.:thumbsup:

kbraker510 and Bunk McNulty like this.
  12. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    In my current band I basically treat everything I play as a bass solo. Frankly I'm often surprised that people still come out to watch us play....

timplog, JCooper and acleex38 like this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I always threaten a solo, lucky for all it never comes to fruition.

14. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    Well when your drummer is DOA on particular song, I accent more on the bass, pop strings to wake up the crowd before they leave!! Sometimes works and get the rest of the band to do more. As for a solo, just get in your own world and to hell with the people on the cell phone. If that world is good, others will enjoy it too. We have all played gig where the performance was not great and the people loved it. Conversely, Top performance by the band and lots of cell phone activity. Thick skin is all I can say<

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021