Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the best amp/cab you've ever played your StingRay 5 through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Nov 10, 2005.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For all you current (or past) StingRay 5 string players, what's the best sounding system you ever played your bass through.

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I like a trace gp12 smx head into a berg 322 followed by the svt 4-pro. I liked these two heads a lot better that a lot of the high end pre/power rigs that Ive used. When I play the sr5 through this rig, for some, I can see how it might be too zingy. But in the mix with a band, it sits in great! Nice high end with no clank, mids that punch and the 322 helps the low end of the sr5 to be stronger.
    To be honest, I raelly like these two heads into a 322 with a lot of basses. (but not all)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm pretty fond of my SR5 through an Eden Navigator preamp, good power amp, and Aguilar cabs with 10's. I haven't tried everything, but that's the best I've found for mine so far.

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    uhhh - altho it wasn't MY stingray 5 - but i have played a few through eden gear and it sounds fantastic

5. Ampeg 8x10

6. D'uh.........

[​IMG]

:D

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't mind giving that system a whirl. ;)

8. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Ive played one through a plx 1602 into a demeter hbp-1 into a berg HT322. Unbelievable everything. Volume and tone.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I played a SR5 through a Dem 201S into a bridged PLX1602 into a Berg HT322 for over a year -- it was very nice.

10. Even with the eq capability on the sr5,I couldn't find the clarity with it through my 70's svt and 810, but eden wt 800 or 400, it sounds like everything is there, particularly through 410xst....but next week....it will be through a 1210 schroeder ! So that may need updating by then !

Steve

11. Thwack! :D

I'm very happy with it. I love the SR5 so much I hardly ever play the jazz...

12. Nice!

13. To my ears the SR5 sounds decent through any amp/cab, some better than others. YMMV.

Best sounding cab with my SR5: EA VL-210 (in the store, haven't had the chance to play/hear one live).

Best sounding rig that I've owned for my SR5: SWR400s/SWR Gol.III 410.

Second-best sounding rig I've owned for my SR5 (current):
    Alembic F1-X/Carver PM1200/SWR Gol.III Jr. 210/Bag End S15d

I've played my SR5 through one of the old-style Epi 2-12 cabs and that sounded great as well.

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I get a lot of mileage out of SR5 -> Trace SMX compression pedal -> SABDDI -> board -> headphones.

Rigwise, I've mostly settled on an SWR SM-900 with a Berg NV610. Roughly as aggressive and punchy as Wolverine after you've said disparaging things about his mother.

I am really interested in a non-Ampeg tube head though.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Caveat: I almost totally dislike my SR5 solo'ed, but I absolutely adore the way it sits in a live mix. That's where it really shines, interestingly enough. If I ever did solo work, or smooth jazz work, I'd bag it for something else in a minute, without hesitation or bad feelings. But for a live rock/top40 gig, it can't be beat for the way it sits in the live mix.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I agree 100%.

17. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    For the first time ever in my career, I'm totally happy with my tone..... (which unfortunately doesnt cure gas at all)

I run my SR5 thru a BBE Bmax-T preamp, to a crest power amp, and into my Schroeder 410. The result being i can cut through any guitar or band sound you throw at it.

I run bypass thru my MXR-M80, and send the pedal's eq / distortion to the front live.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Navigator into a Stewart 2.1, and then out a Flite 410.

-Mike

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I still haven't gotten to hear a BMax-T live yet.

The one on basstasters sounds very good.

20. Best I have ever heard my SR5 live? Probably through my Ashdown ABM500 going into an Ampeg 810 cab. Believe it or not, going direct into a Markbass CMD102P combo is a close second for me - such a transparent amp, you get a very true reflection of your bass' tone.

Going into two GK 410SBX cabs via my ABM500 also sounded hot - the punch those cabs throw is harder than the Ampeg, but the bottom end was cut fairly heavily. But for a flat EQ, I'd have to say the SR5/ABM500/Ampeg 810 combination sounded better.