1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What the Bleep Do We Know!? - movie review

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I don't like reviewing things. Occasionally, I'll write a positive review of something I like but I rarely write a review of anything I dislike. I guess I never found anything I disliked so much that I felt compelled to review it. I understand that experience is subjective and that just because I liked something doesn't mean it's good and just because I didn't like something doesn't mean it's bad.

Well, then I bought a copy of "What the Bleep Do We Know!?", a movie I had been hearing about for a couple of years that was presented to me as a movie-like documentary that explains Quantum Physics in a way that can be understood by the masses.

This movie started out with a little promise. However, it quickly went downhill when I realized that they were completely full of crap. They pick and choose a few bits of Quauntum Mechanics and then pervert them to fit into their cult-like view of the universe.

I guess "cult-like" is not an accurate term. This is a full-blown cult we're talking about here. This movie was created by three members of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment. But don't take their word for it, we get the pleasure of hearing from Ramtha himself ... er, as channeled through some middle-aged woman who happens to be the leader of the cult. Ramtha, being a 35,000 year old Lemurian warrior.

Strewn through the film are interviews with various people who purport to be experts in their field. A few of them make some sense here and there but most of what they say is utter nonsense. To be fair, one of the people they interviewed has since renounced his contribution to the film as being edited to support their views.

Rather than go into details, I'm just going to point to the over 700 reviews at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UEVQ8/ref=imdbap_i_1/104-6363262-1943912?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Look for the 1-star reviews since those have been posted by people like myself who actually know a little bit about science. The 5-star reviews are also interesting since they are generally by people who have bought into that crapola.

Has anybody else seen this movie? Did anybody like it or believe it?

There are many sites that have reviewed this movie. Many of them are just blogs and the writers were just as disgusted as I was and also felt compelled to write about it.

Try Google: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-44,GGLR:en&q=%22what+the+bleep+do+we+know%22

I normally wouldn't feel like I had to say something about this movie but since it has been so mis-represented to so many people who were tricked, as I was, into seeing it, that I feel that you all should be warned about it.

Truth be known, I had to stop the movie after an hour during the "wedding party orgy scene". You don't want to know. I just couldn't stomoch any more and then I started doing some web searches to figure out how I could have been duped into buying it. I tried to watch the rest but couldn't.

- Dave

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I saw this post somewhere... but um... hmmm

Thanks for the review/warning dave...

Cheers

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i wouldn't call it that...

this description might actually make people interested in the movie. :p

anyway, yeah, it was awful.

one of the "experts" was a dentist or something. :rollno:

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, did the mods actually move a thread from the Lounge to OT?!

:p

bc

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    THATS WHERE I'VE SEEN THIS.

Thank you dude, it was killing me.

6. It wasn't moved. I posted a new message here because I wanted to make sure that as many people were warned about this pile of rubbish as possible.

This isn't just about one person not liking a movie. It's about a movie being marketed as something it isn't and, even more dangerous, the movie is nothing more than propaganda for a new-age cult and is full of misleading and outright inaccurate information being passed off as fact. The worst thing is, there are people who just believe it. I've read reviews from people who just took what they said as fact. Even when, at the end, it is revealed matter-of-factly that one of the main interviewees is actually Ramtha, a 35000 year old warrior being channeled through some woman.

I only bought the movie because I saw this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618&q=what+the+bleep&pl=true video which I assumed was an excerpt from the movie. It is, in fact, not in that movie but from the new version of the movie called "Down the Rabbit Hole" or something.

I've also seen other marketing from this movie that mentions nothing of its new-age cult weirdness. I feel like I've been defrauded out of my $14.

- Dave

7. I read that "orgy" description from some other review. That's why I quoted it. :D

I think you're thinking of that chiropractor guy.

- Dave

8. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    saw it...hated it...

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I sent away for the Ramtha video.

It is fantastic.

Well worth letting them know where you live.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:eek:

11. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    they have to mail it to you.

I haven't heard from them since.

But I think I can take them.

....and the video is a great watch

12. I'm not going to tally where I think everyone stands, cuz I'm not sure. But if we want to talk about orgies, how about an orgy of critics who blast a movie when they think nobody will object? (This thread is going to be fun to watch.)

It's one thing to blast a movie one paid $14 and didn't like it. Can anyone take on a world-class physicist who is available for free, or unprove validated scientific discovery instead?

Watch this 78-minute presentation by a theoretical physicist, and then prove to me that any one of the following statements is false. Whether you can do so or not, this thread might actually become useful. So take a listen to Dr. John Hagelin, and then demonstrate that he's wrong. Now everybody can be informed.

http://istpp.org/multimedia/prophets_conference.html

1. Discovery in all fields of science have concluded that the Unified Field exists. Can someone prove this wrong?
    2. One of the most well-documented facts (within science, mind you) is that human meditation indeed changes thing.
    3. Sooner or later, we all end up within the realm of the metaphysical. Is it not just as metaphysical to say that God oir the Unified Field doesn't exist (for example), as to say that He or it does? (for example)

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, and dr. brian josephson (a nobel prize winner in physics) is working on ESP.

in science, appeals to authority are easily seen through.

how many peer reviewed journals have articles on The Unified Field? :eyebrow:

14. great question, Brad. I'll cite anything that seems worthy of general discussion, regardless of conclusions, if I find more in coming weeks and months. Yes - there is a political aspect to Hagelin's conclusions (at very end), but his science for first sections seems compelling to me, with me being a physics layman who can't do the math, and yet sees metaphysical implications to everything I do or don't see. :) Specific research studies that draw reproducible conclusions about meditation (solitary or group-based) probably have more of my interest than the math or String Theory, but I'm in wonder of it all nonetheless.

And I appreciate this critical-of-Bleep thread far more than I have likely implied, thus far. Thanks, all.

15. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    if you do a search theres another very extesive thread on this subject; but its always good to start a new one in case someone else falls for this crap.

16. Actually, I was counting on it. Where's the fun in a one-sided argument?

That being said, Bleep is still a heaping pile of excrement. Discuss.

- Dave

17. Fascinating. Why do I feel like he's going to ask me for my credit card number at the end?

I'm sorry, I can't find any support for any of those. Can you cite any references that I can consult?

- Dave

18. I still can't find it. :(

Do you know what the subject line was? Was it in this forum?

- Dave

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i could've sworn i made one... :meh:

20. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    try searching bleep; I'm pretty sure it was in ot