1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What The Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichaelSmalley, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Could someone please explain the difference between the UL2, UL3, Epifunky and PS lines of Epifani cabs?

I emailed the company to find out what the real life differences are between their lines, and Nick replied that everything was on their website, but -SURPRISE- there wasn't that much info differentiating the different lines of cabs.

My current inclination is to go with 2 210's so I can have a more modular rig (I'd get shot if I brought a 410 to a jazz gig).

Any thoughts?

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Reading the website:
    Epifunky - made overseas with ceramic drivers. Oddly shaped.
    UL2 - Neo drivers lightest
    UL3 - Ceramic Drivers Heavier
    PS - Ceramic drivers Heaviest.

3. What Epifani website are you looking at? Because there isn't even anything about the Epifunky line (aside from a combo amp).

They have some stuff about each line, to be sure, but I was hoping to get some experience from people experienced with their different product lines. Specifically, people who have used their PS line and can compare it to the UL lines. The price difference is considerable and if the tone is about the same, I would go with the less expensive model.

There aren't any Epi dealers in Michigan, so I'll be going on reputation and the very few people I've heard playing them.

4. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    If that's the company response when they should be trying to earn your business, how will they treat you when they already have your money? Food for thought. My inclination would be to purchase from a different company. It's your call, of course.

M. M.

5. Yeah, but have you heard Epifani cabs?

6. steels01

steels01

May 1, 2009
    I have a PS1000 running through a UL410. It sounds devastating and was a total game changer for me. I replaced an Eden WT-1205 and 210XST, 115XLT with the Epifani and it blows it off the stage at half the weight. The PS1000 weighs 14lbs and has 2x500watts at 4OHMS or 1000watts at 8OHM bridged(I run it bridged). I have a UL1410, it has neo drivers made by B&C- the UL2 has Neo drivers made by Eminence. They supposedly sound very similar. The cab weighs 52lbs and is 1000watts at 8OHM. It's a beast and I've got all the headroom I need for any sized gig- I play funk and Hip-Hop so I need headroom.
    This pair likes to be pushed and sounds better as it gets louder-when you get it in the sweet spot watch out! It's super clear and precise with monstrous bottom end.
    I think your 2x210 idea plus a PS1000 or UL501 would be the way to go if your doing jazz gigs. Get the UL2's- they are lighter and sound great. Either head would work fine and they are both simple and sound awesome, the 501 is smaller and lighter and the PS1000 is a little more versatile. Hope this helps.

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I think the last place I'd count on for accurate, impartial reviews of equipment is the manufacturer's site.

You'll get better reviews here.

8. moretolife

moretolife

Apr 21, 2010
    Sometimes the reviews here are questionable. Sometimes you have to look here and other places, talk with people (in person or by phone) who have heard them and listen for yourself where possible. The PS are great, sounds like the NYC's, I think they are worth considering.

9. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been a dedicated user of Epifani cabs for a few years now. I have the PS series 210 and 410. They're USA made, not heavy at all (but no neo-loaded) and from I've read and experienced more "traditional" and vintage voiced in tone. I use GK or Aguilar heads with them. Haven't used the UL series, but they are supposedly more modern and edgier. Maybe more full range?

10. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    If you had glanced at my profile you would know the answer to that question. My UL-410 was purchased new in 2006. Great sounding, lightweight cab...but I have a strong dislike for the company that builds it. I pray that I don't blow a speaker and have to deal with them for a replacement. YMMV.

M. M.

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1 Though my UL410 sounded good, I was more than happy to unload it (I was one of the poor souls who actually has had to deal with them). Life is too short and there is far to much great sounding gear to deal with ***holes.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My brother has the PS1000 and (2) PS410's...it's big 'n loud for sure. The gear was attractively priced but does not stand head & shoulders above the competition. Bottom line: very nice equipment with "Epifani" faceplates which adds to the appeal. IMO, you can do better for less.

Sidenote: any time you see the term "Performance" in the name, keep in mind this is either an entry-level or budget-minded offering...the PS series is no different although I believe the "Epifunky" wins that distinction.

Riis

13. Thanks everyone-

So the reason why I was really considering Epifani cabs was that one of the bassists in my area that I really look up to plays through an Epi 310 and I've never heard such nasty tone, especially for slap. For my needs, I was thinking a pair of 210's would be ideal.

Sooooooo, what would you guys recommend? Bergantino? Any other thoughts?

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I absolutely love Bergantino cabs - have had good luck with GK Neo and Genz Benz too...

15. With these high-end cabs I'm sure I can't really go wrong. Does anyone have experience with their customer service?

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I LOVE my Epifani cab, and have spoken with Nick a few times.

I would not call their customer satisfaction world class though, that is for sure.

I needed a cover, long story short finally got one on order talking to Nick himself, couple weeks later I had received nothing. I called them, again talked with Nick and got everything sorted out. They were very disorganized and I was quoted $35 for shipping, yet it cost me $50 for some reason when the dust settled... this is because Nick pulled a number out of his butt after sales gave me a price.

Awesome product, would never get rid of my UL2-310, the tone is amazing and clear. Average customer service at best.

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I gave you my .02 already. Got one of the first UL410s - three of the original speakers fried within the first few months. They told me to take it back to the store and have the owner take a look (he's a well known tech). He said it looked like they'd run into a batch of bad speakers & that I should call for a return number. Needless to say, Epifani refused that saying I could ship the whole cab back on my dime and if THEY determined the speakers were faulty would send them back. They asked me what amp I was using. When I told them, they said the (well known) amp manufacturer was notorious for building amps that pushed square waves, frying speakers. Despite the fact I had used that amp with a bunch of other cabs with no issues whatsoever and their tech said the speakers appeared faulty (not damaged).

All I got was a load of attitude and the privilege of buying some VERY expensive replacements. Never again

18. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I really have to disagree with your take on the PS line. The big difference with them and UL line is the UL have neo speakers and are tuned differently. I called Epifani before I brought one, and told them what type of music I played and tone I like, price was not a problem, but they didn't suggest the UL when they could have. The epifunk is the entry stuff, but the ps has the more tradional tone and feel, not cheap, just less expensive than the UL. Most cabinets with neo speakers are going to cost more. Just IMHO

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I stand by my comments. I bought them, gave 'em a "test drive" in my living room, and carted the whole schmear to my brother's up in the Northern Neck. One of the cabs arrived with two drivers popped out of place (somebody neglected to install the somewhat critical mounting screws) so I took a good look at the overall construction prior to slapping on the return / call tag.

EpifaniOblique1.

Despite the QC faux pas, it's a nice cab and representative of any number of import cabs I've seen and heard: decent sound quality, affordable, but nothing that I would consider spectacular or innovative.

Riis

20. PRONOUN PROBLEMS!!!!! :D

I meant Bergantino or really, any other high end cab manufacturer. If I don't go with Epi, I'm not sure which company I would go for.