Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what the "F" is wrong with my "F"?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jan 6, 2002.

1. hey!

I have a bit of a problem I was playing with my band yesterday and all of my notes were fine but the low f (first fret on the E string ;)) was noticably out of tune. I own a korg dtr-2 rack tuner which I used to check my other notes and all the other notes were in perfect tune except this "F"

what the "F" is going on?

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Intonation at the first fret is a common gripe, because of the proximity to the nut and large fret area (you're sharp, right)? Mechanical fixes would be to lower your action or file your nut down (ouch). Thinner guage strings might help too. But the simplest solution would be to make sure you are fretting just behind the wire, and aren't pushing down too hard. Hook up your tuner, and play your F, fretting it LIGHTLY, just behind the fret wire (NOT in the middle of the open area between the nut and the 1st fret). Is it still sharp? Now mash the string down to the fingerboard halfway between the nut and the fretwire. See how it's getting sharper, as you effectively shorten the string length? You can make it go pretty dang sharp that way.

If it's still sharp even if you fret lightly behind the wire, you may need to make a mechanical adjustments of some sort (personally, I'd start by lowering the action). But otherwise, you might be able to fix the problem by adjusting your technique. :)

3. hey thanx lump,

that is what I thought too (honestly) And yes it is sharp but the thing is if I push down light it is still sharp (and I am talking pushing really light) same if I mover my finger around behind the fret.

I guess I could mess with it but I don't know much about these kind of adjustments and I am recording in under 2 weeks. So if I lower the action it should help? I'll give it a shot but maybe I should just bring it in somewhere.

:)

4. sounds reasonable, never thought of the dent thing the strings are very old. I will take it in my band will kick me out if I don't j/k.