Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have a set of Bartolini pickups and Bart preamp for a bass project that has just about lost my interest. I'm thinking I'd like to get a fretless fiver like an SX or Brice and convert to use the electronics I have. I don't care much for their body styles offered other than the jazz, but I'd have to modify that a bit to use my soapbar pickups. Filling holes and rerouting and repainting wouldn't be out of the question. Something bright sounding with a good B string to work with the mellow sounding Barts, but I have no idea which bass will work best for my combo. Funny thing about the B strings too. I don't see how any particular string of the same length tuned to the same pitch could be good or bad on one bass or another, but it seems somehow they can since I tried a Pedulla Rapture 5 tonight that blew my mind after having owned a couple Ibanez 5's. So, uh... how are the B strings on the SX or Brice basses? Are they consistent from one bass to the next of the same model?
    I'd prefer not to defret whatever I end up getting, but if my dream bass only comes fretted I could handle the job.
    Any suggestions on what bass to get for this project?

2. I have a Brice V2 five string fretless. The original strings that came with the bass didn't sound or play well, however, changing to D'Addario Chrome Flats made a world of a difference. There was a huge difference between the original B-string and the new DA B-string. The original was so floppy it was actually unplayable (to me anyway). After changing to the Chrome flats, I really like the Brice V2 and actually have been using it as my main bass (I've come to appreciate fretless and it's the only fretless I have). The Brice is playing well enough for me but the electronics seem limitied, although, I can produce a tone that satisfies me. I'd be interested to hear the results if you get a Brice or SX and put the Barts in it. I bet both of us would like to hear from any Brice or SX owners that have replaced the electronics and/or pickups. Come on guys. Is there anybody that's done this? Any recommendations?