Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the heck-a-roony?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What is with all the damned cover songs on the radio these days? It makes me wanna puke in my boots! Most of 'em weren't very good the first time around. Not only that, but some of the originals are only a few years old! With all the money these big name ass clown musicians are making, can't they at least write their own crap music (or at least let someone else write some original crap music for them)?

:mad: :mad:

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing today while listening to the radio at work.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    *** indeed my friend...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

5. I never listen to the radio. I didn't know there were that many covers out there.

I do remember, though, back in the day people used to do each other's covers all the time....though I guess they were generally of higher quality.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    AHHH ha. title change. i like it "What the heck-a-roony" is much funnier than "***"

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :spit:

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, questionable thread titles give me carte blanche to retitle them as I (or embellisher) see fit, so if you don't wanna end up with a lame title, better stay on the good side of the forum posting rules.

Whoa, new smilies!:bag:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here, lemme hijack this thread.

Here's a few.

Elton John's versions of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Pinball Wizard are both better than the originals. I also prefer Annie Lennox's version of Take Me to the Water better than the Talking Heads' or Robert Palmer's versions. Also, I like most of Linda Ronstadt's remakes better than most of the originals.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'll agree with everyone except Elton Johns redo of "Pinball Wizard"

I think in the future, all the radio will have is one hit song, and tons of bands playing that one song, just with differnt singers and the like. that way, they can all sell cd's, and not have to go thru all that "Hard work" crap.:rolleyes:

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Sorry, that spitting emoticon wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the radio pop that everyone else was ranting about.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wha?!? Elton John's version of Lucy In The Sky better than The Beatles'?!? Blasphemy! :D j/k

I disagree with you on that one, though :)

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Since most radio is now corporate, there's no local input. You can request a song, but it'll only get played only if it fits into the time slot. (2 weeks from Tuesday!)

If radio stations could (and we're talking POP rock/cool Jazz right?) they'd advertise every minute away.

The songs are only there because the radio stations weren't able to sell the ad space that the songs take up.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't have a problem with the new title (if you're Kurt Angle), but I wouldn't go so far as to call the original title "questionable." Vague? Sure. Questionable? No way!

:D :D

I only listen to the radio because I "have" to. It's either that, or I can listen to myself breathe all day long. I play those radio presets like a piano, looking for something tolerable. Yesterday, I think I heard SOAD at least 8 times in 10 hours. Sheesh! One System song in 10 hours is more than enough for me.

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Here ya go, Munji............
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69367&highlight=best+cover

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Covers... I don't listen to the radio... who's covering what?

17. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    what cover songs are we refering towards exactly? I'm completely clueless towards what's currently circulating

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Two that come to mind would be the Dixie Chicks cover of Landslide(Stevie Nicks),and Six Pence None the Richer is covering some lame 80's tune that the title/artist escapes me at this point.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't mind covers versions if they're significantly different to the original e.g. Smooth Criminal.

But this crap of taking a old song, any song, and changing absolutely nothing other than to add a "Doof Doof Doof" kick drum - what's that all about?

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Easy Money!! ;)