1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the heck did I just buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kael, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yes it is one of those id this bass threads. Tried doing a search, but I am unable to read the signature style name on the headstock, so the search was not fruitfull. The name appears to be "Chris Lokin" or perhaps "Chris Jorin" maybe... Also has a three leaf clover on the headstock.

I went into a local pop shop (no ma in this establishment) to buy a new instrument cable. While I was there, the proprietor showed me a bass of which I'd never heard. It is a fiver and definitely 35" scale. Has a 3 band preamp, a master volume, tone, a preamp defeat switch, and a pickup selector that appears to be a five switch knob. Since it has two soapbar pickups, I presume that two spots are for differing coil taps on the neck and bridge pickups then the center is both. It has a set neck, flamed maple top and back, and an ebony board. It also appears to have ebony pickup covers.

It is tonally darker than normally appeals to me. I've gotten to the point that 35" scale bothers me, but it appears to be 19mm spaced at the bridge which is a bonus. I went ahead and snagged it as the price he offered it to me was just WAY too attractive. The build seems to be pretty solid/quality although nothing made me just sit up and pant after playing for a couple minutes.

Any help id'ing this bass would be greatly appreciated as I as of this moment know squat about it.

Pics below.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Larkin. High-end bass. made in Ireland.

Dan at Luthiers Access Group carries these and can give you more info.

dcr

3. Oh, and I'll be happy to relieve you of it! Need a MIM Jazz Deluxe 5 or an Epi Jack Casady?

dcr

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Couple pics more

Attached Files:

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yeah, that's a score.

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA

if he defers . . .

7. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    +1 On the score.

8. If he'd accept...I won't defer! I'd even pack up and drive to OKC and get it before he changed his mind:D. It's only about 8 hours from here.

dcr

9. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    beauty of a bass you got there. mind if i ask what the price on it was?

10. No matter what it is... But sure is a nice bass, mate. :D

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i love that 24th fret.. its like a whole new instrument to me.. used to have a cheap-o 5 string sounded horrible but man do i miss being able to dive the entire way up there..

nice score congrats.

12. Whoa! The website says that is a REACTER, prices start at about $2200 US. Nice score!

13. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Wow, that's a killer bass. How much did it run you?

14. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    I 2nd that.

15. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Nice snag, mate... but what do you mean "keine fetten Frauen" ?? Ein bisschen um die Hueften ist doch gut.... :)

16. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    On a break at the practice pad. I brought this bass with me to try out. It isn't dark as I thought it was at the store but it still has a little darker than usual tone. The Fender amp I ran her through is evidently pretty deficient on the clarity front. It actually sounds VERY nice through a SWR or my thunderfunk. Was expecting it to sound at least passably good, but not like this. Much more clean tone than my 'wick, but still pretty modern. Very versatile. I went from a My Morning Jacket style fat, pillowy tone to an aggressive mid range fingerstyle with minor tweaks to EQ and pickup selection. THe EBS preamp seems pretty beefy with the 18 volt preamp. (Note: I opened the bass and it has an older Citronic preamp, which still sounds great). Despite it initially feeling like 19mm spaced, it is definitely a little tightr than that. Feels like somewhere around 18.5mm. Now I just need to see if I can make peace with that and the 35" scale.

Heh, might not be the score of the decade, but not bad for $350 out the door tax included. :bassist: :D Daddy is happy.

Just found out my gig tonight got double booked, so this bass won't see any stage time tonight, but it certainly will tomorrow!

17. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Ja, aber nur ein bisschen.

18. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    $350 for what would be a $2200 dollar bass?

You sir are a lucky man.

19. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Cracked her open before heading to bed tonight. Evidently this is an older model with the Citronic preamp instead of the EBS pre. Wonder how old this bass is. Might have to contact the luthier to see what he says. It is pretty much in mint condition. If there are any dings, I haven't seen them yet. I'd assumed that it was no more than a year or so old, but it looks like this is one of those basses that was bought then never gigged judging from the condition.

Thanks to everyone who gave me info on what I lucked into as well as for the compliments on the bass. I appreciate the trade offers for the MIM Fenders and the like, but I think I am going to stick with what I got for a bit. ;)

20. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Well the Larkin went to a gig last night. Since I couldn't find much info on Chris Larkin's basses using the search function, I am posting a little mini-review just for kicks in case someone is searching him in the future. Please keep in mind that this review is after one gig and one rehearsal so it is pretty preliminary. Amp was a thunderfunk through a ampeg 410 hlf at the gig and a SWR bassic black at the rehearsal. No effects used at either.

Tonally this bass was thick while retaining a good bit of articulation. Uber-modern tone although I admit I haven't spent much time in passive with it yet. Solo'ing the bridge got me a good burp tone while still being thick enough that I didn't even want to consider playing with the onboard EQ to retain girth. The neck pickup solo'd gave a good hollow/round thing that served the same role as a P without actually sounding like a P. Both together was FAT. Didn't really play with the push/pull volume pot last night which I presume switches the bass to passive. Left it active as I wanted to get a good handle on the preamp. I did use the EQ bypass switch a couple times. Switched off, the bass sounded like I just zero'd the EQ knobs like you'd expect. The passive tone knob was much less effective on this bass than most others due to the bass's slightly dark nature. I pretty much left the tone knob up all night. Rolling it down made the bass sound muddy rather than giving that old school tone. I think that is a function of this bass being a modern beast. Lightly goosing the bass knob yeilded a pillow-under-the-mix tone without getting the kind of flabby that makes quick runs indistinct. That low knob sounded like it was voiced really low. Mid knob was effective but I didn't really utilize it much. Sounded like it was voiced around 600 hz or so. The treble knob did a great job at adding sparkle, but the bass's naturally little dark character stayed. Digging in got me some sparkle, even with the treble knob flat, but those humbuckers aren't going to get anywhere near as trebley as say a single coil J pikcup (or even my warwick's soapbars). Felt more like the bass had a dark personality than lacking in highs if that makes any sense.

Think I need to finish tweaking the setup to be positive, but I am not sure if the 35" scale and I are going to get along. I kept not reaching far enough for notes and when I picked up a fretless J that was 34", I had to concentrate a good deal more than usual on my intonation. Really killed me when I was trying to improv a couple times. The tighter string spacing (18.5mm'ish) than I am accustomed to may have played a role in distracting me, but it was hard to tell with the scale length standing out as it did. The G string and to a lesser degree the D string are too high for my tastes , but the B-E-A strings a dream to play on. Going to the hardware store to find an allen wrench that'll fit this bass after I post this as I don't have one that will fit at the moment.

This bass is moderately heavy. It has a mahogany core with flamed maple front/back. I would imagine that most bassists would say that it is a heavy bass, but it is lighter than my back breaking warwick, so it doesn't really bother me... yet. I experienced zero neck dive with a leather strap (2" strap) but thought I felt an ever so slight downward pull with one of those 1" nylon jobbers when I checked it at the store. That may have been my imagination as when I took my hands off the bass and bounced a tad, the headstock remained level. The neck is thicker than a Fender but thinner than my warwick. Felt very comfortable/fast, but you might want to take into account that I like my warwick's neck and many people gripe about the thickness of their necks.

This baby sounds great and I now feel confident in saying that the build quality is up there with or perhaps even higher the best basses I've ever touched. It is immaculate. If I can't get past the scale I am seriously considering selling this sucker and ordering another with 34" scale from Chris Larkin now although I am not in any big hurry to move this bass.

Edit: I've tweaked the setup on this bass a bit. I've got the bridge adjusted to a full 19mm spacing. There seems to be room to even bump that up to 20mm, but the outer strings would be perilously close to the edge of the fingerboard in that case. What I thought was an EQ defeat switch is evidently an active/passive switch. The preamp is evidently so clean that I assumed that the bass was still utilizing the pre just not doing any EQ'ing. The push/pull volume pot actually is an onboard tuner! Dunno how I missed the two LED's by the 24th fret, but I did. The tuner seems to have a little difficulty tracking a low B, so I just use a 12th fret harmonic and it works like a champ. Had her out on a few more gigs and most of my initial thoughts hold. The low end is tighter than I initially thought. My initial impressions were probably an indication of the boomy room/PA splashback from the instrument's debut appearance in conjunction with that 410hlf. With my EA cabs in a more normal enviornments the low end is much more controlled. I'm impressed with how a little goosing of the low knob coupled with the dark nature of this bass retains clarity and avoids muddiness.