What the heck is this mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SacRush, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SacRush

SacRush Supporting Member

Squier (1).jpg Squier (2).jpg Squier (3).jpg Gang,
    I saw an add in the local for a Squier PBass and took a better look at the pictures (which I hope that I have posted here!). It looks like someone took a late 90's Korean Squier and monkeyed around with the electronics - the knobs definitely look different and there is a flap-switch kinda thing in between what I assume are still the volume and tone knobs. I am thinking of getting it out of curiosity, if I can get the price down. I haven't played it either - its a little out of my usual area.
    The owner hasn't responded back to my questions so I thought I would turn to TB - who have never let me down.

JFLbass, SactoBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Could just be an on/off switch for someone who needs a red light to remind him he's plugged in.

3. SacRush

New and not-so-bright person question, is that any kind of normal? I haven't heard of anything like that before.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It's unusual to use that type of switch but it could be a series/parallel switch for the pickup, or a controls bypass switch, or a tone control capacitor selection switch, or a "producer" switch...

marmil, bigtone23, design and 7 others like this.
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Nuclear warhead

DanGR, Gabxo, ejaggers and 10 others like this.
  6. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    It literally could be for anything or nothing...this could go on forever. I'm gonna make so me popcorn and watch the "it could be..." answers roll in ;-) Go play it if you can and see what it does or doesn't do.
    Rock on.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i have one switch like that one... but mine turns the blender on and off. :D

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It slows the drummer down by 8 beats per minute. Handy.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Since there aren’t any additional knobs I’m guessing he did not add an active preamp, so it might be a killswitch.

11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Remote device switch to open and close the garage door when leaving or coming back for/from a gig. Voilà :thumbsup:

12. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If it was on my bass it would be a kill switch, but it would also be a lot more unobtrusive.

13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    To truly understand what is now, you must understand what has come before. This bass was designed in the prime psychotropic drug era, and putting ones self in that state-of-mind helps understand.
    Top to bottom. L>R
    Volume, Varitone (for those who like presets, but pos. 1 is the only one that sounds good, so best to ignore), Pre amp on (this particular pre-amp has so much gain it will easily drive a speaker cabinet) Pickup selector (given the proximity of the bridge pickup TO the bridge, this is best used sparingly), Pre amp volume (something has to tame that overactive pre-amp or your cable will melt) Tone ( I don't use a tone control) Three switches in a row- Top to bottom- Warp/impulse drive, Navigation, Lowers/raises anchor.
    How does this relate to the mystery switch? Simple. While playing, flip it to it's opposite setting. If it sounds terrible, don't do that again.

DSC_0001 (20).jpg

14. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Maybe the previous owner was a fan of 60's Japanese basses.

gebass6 likes this.
  15. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    A placebo for the producer, that is genius!

ejaggers and SacRush like this.
  16. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    It's for opening the bomb bay doors and dropping a load of low end on unsuspecting audiences while they're tapping away on social media on their smart phones.

17. SacRush

You guys are awesome - definitely making my morning (in CA) way more interesting than my actual job. It seems like I have to actually go play the beast to see what it does. Now I am really excited!

Gabxo, Congaman, pellomoco14 and 2 others like this.
  18. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    That gaudy switch coupled with the crack are good reasons to swap the pick guard.

RBrownBass and SacRush like this.
  19. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Well once you actually get to try the "bomb bay door" button out, let us know what you think about it...

20. SacRush

Absolutely! Will I have any trouble finding a replacement - assuming I drop the switch?