Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what the heck is this??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 11, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i was reading in my note reading studies for bass book and saw something very unfamiliar to me

it looked like something like this

it was just a dot then had ^ over or connecting the dot and a quarter note. this dot was NOT a note either.

sorry for the vague explanation, but its the best i can do right now, id scan the example but cant for now.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is the dot on the staff? If so, it might be a grace note, even though the notehead might be very small.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Probably something Jaco wrote :D (take a look at his hand-written charts for some really unconventional writing)

seriously though its probably just a printing error or something. Like it was supposed to be a grace note but it turned out looking more like a strange little dot.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

yes the dot is on the staff on the

looks kinda like this

-----------------

-----------------

------------------

--dot^1/4 note-----

----------------------

dont know if it matters but the B is actually a bB

By the way, what the hecks a grace note?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A grace note is an ornament. Just a short note (usually a whole step or a half step away from the note to which it's tied). It's not unusual to see them without stems. Context and taste dictate how long they should be held, but they usually come slightly ahead of the beat.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have that book. What page?

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Me too.

I know a ^ over a note indicates a strong accent (as you can see on page 57). A dot over a note indicates staccato. I'm skimming through the book and can't seem to find where you are talking about the dot and ^. Or do you mean maybe the half-circle thingy and dot over the 1/4 (like at the end of the piece on page 65)? That's a fermata. Hmmm...'course it says clearly near it what it is. LOL.

EDIT: Oops. I just realized you said the dot is on the staff. The dot isn't after a note, is it? Like, I mean, say a dotted 1/4 note?

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have misplaced my book, but I am guessing here. Could it indicate a slight string bend? Dang, where's my book? I want to see that notation.

By the way, doesn't the book have a glossary in which every symbol of notation is defined?

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    There's no glossary, but the beginning of each section gives you definitions and examples.

10. Articulation? ("Martellato" ie. hammered) ... or perhaps a misprinted pause symbol?

(later edited) Sorry, I just realized your post indicated the wedge was NOT over the dot (and I also see that stephanie already suggested articulation/accent).

11. Did it look something like this?
    [​IMG]

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    grrrrrr now i cant even find it. i know i saw this, i thought it was in my note reading studies book. but im not seeing it there now. lemme go through all my books again, i know its in one of them, cos id not have posted about it if i didnt see it somewhere. Im sorry guys/gals, I feel like an idiot and that I sent ya'll on a wild goose chase.