What the heck is wrong with drummers???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Nov 8, 2005.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I was at Disneyland last week, and saw the crappiest thing ever. At the club buzz lightyear stage (formerly the tomorrowland terrace) was a disco/funk band. The bassist was great, and could sing real good and play at the same time. Guitarist was awesome, the female lead singer was great, and the horn section and keyboard player rocked...

Then there is the drummer, who I think is actually the band leader. I don't know what the heck was wrong with him, but what part about the word "disco" did he not understand?? I have never heard more buzz rolls, double bass drum, cymbal crashes or extremly fast tempos in my life! I thought I was listening to Neal Peart! (While I love Neal a lot, he never claimed to be a disco/funk drummer, so he is excused from this rant)

This drummer was completely and totally out of control. What a total showoff! I felt sorry for the poor bass player trying vainly to groove to Rick james'-"Give it to me baby" done at 160 BPM, or any of the KC and the sunshine band hits done the way they were doing them. I mean, haven't they heard the original recordings?? Those songs are supposed to groove!!!

I sincerely hope the bass player for this band is reading this, and has a nice talk with the drummer about playing what is appropriate, and not playing what is'nt.
  2. Same thing that's wrong with every musician that overplays. It's not unique to drummers or guitarists or bassists. Some people think that's the way you play. Some do that to cover up inadequacies in their technique and playing. It's hard to play slow.

There are alot of drummers that don't do that too.
  3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    The only drummers I have heard who don't do that, are already on albums. Seems like most every drummer I have ever seen locally, or played with locally have some form of diarrheah, where they just can't stop themselves.

Who is the drummer on the Michael Jackson song "Billy jean"?? whoever it is, he rocks....as for that matter, so does the drummer on almost every song from the album"highway to hell" by AC/DC.

I guess that's why God invented drum machines.

I am not totally opposed to massive chops and fast hands...but there is a place for that, and it is called "Jazz Fusion". It does not belong in a disco band!! I felt like crying when I heard this guy, because he was ruining the songs, which are classics. The kind of songs people always groove to when a DJ plays them.
  4. That must be why they're not on albums. You might need to start looking in different places if that's all the drummers you have out there.

And, IMO, drum machines are never a suitable replacement for a competent drummer.