Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What the heck is wrong with my Warwick!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I have a brand new Warwick Corvette Proline, about 3 months old played maybe 10 times. I plugged it in to the Ampeg today and absolutely NO SOUND. It has a BRAND NEW 9V battery, and my other bass still works through the rig with the same cable. What is going on I am pissed and I want to JAM right now!

I opened the back and it doesn't look like any wire connections are missing. This thing is brand new what is wrong?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know what might be wrong... probably some wires came loose inside it?

You aren't very lucky with that bass, am I right? Sounded like crap in the studio, and now doesn't sound at all? Weren't you on your way buying a Carvin? Can't you just return the crap and get another bass - you have a warranty, don't you?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Unscrew the output jack on your bass and check it out. I don't know if they're plastic or metal, (jeez, I hope metal for the dough Warwick wants). But regardless, the output jack is usually the first suspect, IMO, when you're just getting absolutely NO sound. Those connections may well be the problem.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    check the polarity of your battery (maybe the + and - are reversed?)

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Domino,

as mentioned, check the output jack.
    you can often see threads around here about dead Warwick jacks, they tend to die on people without warning.

another thing to do is go to where you bought it from and demand that they either replace your electronics/repair them or they get you a another bass like yours instead, to replace it.

third option is to tell the national Warwick dealer that the problem caused you great damage and you had to cancel gigs and because of that you demand that they will fund the installation of a third party pre-amp. might work with a little use of physical preassure :)

last but not least, don't give up the Warwick, their weak link is their MEC electronics, replace them at some point (I know I will) and you will thank yourself for keeping the bass.

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    better sell your warwick, one day you will have hissing problem with your electronic.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Humm i have several warwicks and never had a hissing problem? Id call warwick up iam sure they will take care of you! They are very friendly and helpfull (not like carvin) Warwicks are perfect basses so id take it back it was probaly just a screw up! I bought 3 basses in a row and took them all back! One was a carvin that wouldnt work so i called them and i think they were all doofi there! Dont want doofi making my bass! The other was a spector i orderd new it was a american model and the frett work sucked so bad it almost cut my finger off! So i went and got a new corvette pr-line and love it! I had a few questions about it that the dumb ass people at the guitar store couldnt help me with so i called warwick up and man they were so nice and smart!

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    How long does it take the hissing to develop - I've had this one for seven years and its not hissing yet. Should I wait a bit longer or get sell it now before it starts ? :)

Or does the hissing just come from the jealous section of the audience :cool: ?

9. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    my streamer stage 1/ 5strings with Bart soap bar, and also my thumb 4. I never use them also my other Warwick [ total 9]. Now I use solely Sadowsky, none of Warwick can come close to Sadowsky, for any thing but price.

10. Never trust foreign-made basses...:)

11. Domino, it sounds like you might have a lemon there. I'd harass Warwick and/or the dealer until they do what you want. As much as you Warwick guys'll hate to hear this, The Warwicks with MEC electronics are famous for being noisy and crapping out. Ask any serious tech who deals with them. That doesn't mean that all of them will do it of course. I have a buddy who bought one with MECs to do studio work and had to replace the electronics immediately because they were so noisy that the bass was unuseable. When he replaced them with Bartolinis it sounded great (as much as it pains me to say that:D). I was the engineer on the sessions so it ain't hearsay.

12. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    May be you are lucky with yours. Why should I be jealous if I have 9 of them? I am more than happy to sell it to you if you are interested.

13. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    It was not a reference to you being jealous (and with nine compared to my one) why should you be. In my case any hissing is due to people in the audience who do not have Warwicks but would like to own one (or is it 'cos I'm that good a player ? No - I think its the former)

And I thought I was a Warwick fan. Jesus, nine is pretty serious ! How many of those have caused you problems ?

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I, Joe Nerve, dedicated Warwick fan and lover, do solemly swear that after approxomately 3 years of use - my electronics crapped out on me. Never heard a hiss - but the volume pot went kaplooey for no good reason. I've got to replace it at my expense (I'm pissed) and haven't gotten around to calling Warwick yet to find out what it's gonna cost me. I was told I will probably have to replace the whole board, whatever that means.

Also, when I first bought my bass, I noticed after a week or so that the wood (bubinga) was cracking. I immediately brought it back, they replaced it without any questions, and I got a new one that felt 1000 times better than the original. I believe in Lemons, and I believe they should be replaced.

I would take mine back and tell them I wanted another one.

15. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    3 of them. The SS 1 is severe, lost mid and treble. Warwick sent new pot but I must change the P>U> fm Bart to S.D. I gave up.
    I live 24 hrs flyng fm Germany and 24 hrs to nearest US state. I got all my Warwick with special price. i.e Dolphin Pro 4 only less than US1,000,- factory direct.
    Nowadays I stick to my Sadowsky 4 , its the best, another 4 string is on order, expensive but worth it.

16. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Yeah I originally wanted a Carvin, but after several phone calls with no responses they called me the day before I was supposed to get my bass and told me they dropped it and broke the neck. They'd have to build me a new one and it would be another 6 weeks. Needless to say, they lost my business.

The Warwick originally sounded crappy in the studio, but I went back in and we mic'd a 15" woofer and ran direct and mixed the tones - it sounded great. So that problem was solved. I'm gonna call Warwick and bitch at them today. I am NOT happy in my bass-shopping experience so far. I do love the tone of this Warwick through my Ampeg rig though. And I'm in no rush since I'm no longer playing with that band I used to be in...

17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Iam a massive warwick fan and i just dont get all the bad stuff you say about them! Ive delt with them for years and i think they are the best bass made! Who ever said dont go with forign basses? Get real what am i supposed to go buy a junky fender just to keep my buisness in the states? The best basses are made in other countrys!

18. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I'm a Warwick fan too, but I just haven't had the best of luck with mine as there is NO sound from it as we speak and it's only 6 weeks old and cost me $1300.

Waiting to hear back from Dana B Goods on this.

19. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well hell i have a old ampeh b-15 potalflex amp id trade to someone for there crappy warwick! Its a hell of a amp great shape and is a collectores thing!

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    well theres a rule about everything that is made in Germany....it always rules!

I also like German cars better than American and Japanesse ones.